|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 1, of what does everyone in Florence complain about?
(a) The smell.
(b) The noise.
(c) The tourists.
(d) The weather.
2. Which of George Eliot's novels is, according to McCarthy, a "sentimental pastiche of Florentine history"?
(a) Daniel Deronda.
(b) The Mill on the Floss.
(d) Silas Marner.
3. Who is buried in the Badia, an abbey?
(a) Saint Francis.
(b) Gregory the Great.
(c) Ugo of Tuscany.
4. What structure in the Piazza della Republica celebrates progress?
(a) The bridge over the canal.
(b) The triumphal arch.
(c) The statue of Pope Pius IX.
(d) The statue of a galloping horse.
5. Where is Donatello's David?
(a) The Palazzo Strozzi.
(b) The Baptistery.
(c) The Uffizi.
(d) The Bargello.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as the "ideally self-interested despot"?
2. What is in the middle of the main piazza of Florence?
3. Which Florentine church is too far outside Florence for most tourists to visit?
4. What is the bird of Florence?
5. According to the author, who is the only person who can observe Florence well?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)