|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Florentine church is too far outside Florence for most tourists to visit?
(a) San Miniato.
(b) Santa Trinita.
(c) Santa Maria Novella.
(d) The Duomo.
2. According to Chapter 1, if you are lost in Florence, whom should you ask for directions?
(a) The guard at the Boboli.
(b) A policeman.
(c) Any passerby.
(d) A server at any restaurant.
3. What is the main road between Siena and Rome?
(a) The Via Romana.
(b) The Via Florentina.
(c) The Autobahn.
(d) Highway 375.
4. What is in the middle of the main piazza of Florence?
(a) A restaurant with a great deal of outdoor seating.
(b) A parking lot.
(c) A statue commemorating Pope Clement VII.
(d) A huge fountain.
5. According to Chapter 1, how much did the piece of masonry that fell from the National Library weigh?
(a) 132 pounds.
(b) 30 pounds.
(c) 5 pounds.
(d) Approximately 1200 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What structure in the Piazza della Republica celebrates progress?
2. What does the author call "an incubus on its present population"?
3. What is the name of Michelangelo's famous sculpture, which is mentioned in the first paragraph of Chapter 1?
4. Which of George Eliot's novels is, according to McCarthy, a "sentimental pastiche of Florentine history"?
5. Whom did Dante see at the Badia?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)