|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the river that runs through Florence?
(a) The Tigris.
(b) The Arno.
(c) The Riviera.
(d) The Danube.
2. Who is the patron saint of Florence?
(a) Saint Augustine.
(b) Saint Jerome.
(c) Saint Cecilia.
(d) Saint John the Baptist.
3. According to Chapter 1, if you are lost in Florence, whom should you ask for directions?
(a) A server at any restaurant.
(b) A policeman.
(c) The guard at the Boboli.
(d) Any passerby.
4. What adjective does the author use to describe Venice and Siena in Chapter 1?
5. Whom did Dante see at the Badia?
(a) Catherine of Siena.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bird of Florence?
2. Which of George Eliot's novels is, according to McCarthy, a "sentimental pastiche of Florentine history"?
3. Who is described as the "ideally self-interested despot"?
4. According to Chapter 1, of what does everyone in Florence complain about?
5. What is the object that is most frequently stolen in Florence?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)