|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day is market day in Florence?
2. What structure in the Piazza della Republica celebrates progress?
(a) The statue of a galloping horse.
(b) The triumphal arch.
(c) The statue of Pope Pius IX.
(d) The bridge over the canal.
3. Who is the patron saint of Florence?
(a) Saint Cecilia.
(b) Saint Jerome.
(c) Saint Augustine.
(d) Saint John the Baptist.
4. Which of George Eliot's novels is, according to McCarthy, a "sentimental pastiche of Florentine history"?
(b) Daniel Deronda.
(c) Silas Marner.
(d) The Mill on the Floss.
5. What is the name of Michelangelo's famous sculpture, which is mentioned in the first paragraph of Chapter 1?
(a) The Pieta.
(c) The Trinity.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 1, how much did the piece of masonry that fell from the National Library weigh?
2. According to the author, who is the only person who can observe Florence well?
3. What is the object that is most frequently stolen in Florence?
4. According to Chapter 1, if you are lost in Florence, whom should you ask for directions?
5. Which group of people most commonly gets robbed in Florence?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)