|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Guardians feel when Essun draws the magic from their corestones?
2. Why did Yaetr Innovator Dibars say he was concerned after he analyzes his findings on orogenes and the frequency of Seasons?
3. What does Lerna notice about Essun when they arrive at Rennanis?
4. Whose diary does Nassun find at Corepoint?
5. What did Kelenli want to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nassun react when Essun is transformed by the power of the Obelisk Gate?
2. When Steel, Antimony and Hoa meet, what reasoning does Steel give for manipulating Nassun?
3. What does Essun use to control the Obelisk Gate in opposition to Nassun?
4. How did the Sylanagistine feel towards the Niess?
5. What happens to the tuners on their way to Kelenli’s home during their second lesson?
6. Why is Schaffa narrating the story to Essun?
7. How did the Earth access the Plutonic Engine when Syl Anagist first activated it?
8. What does Hoa call it when Nassun uses magic and orogeny at the same time?
9. Why does Essun object when Danel uses the word rogga during their last conversation before entering the desert?
10. How does Kelenli describe the relationship between the tuners and the Niess when she explains the history of the Niess to the tuners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Jemisin develops the theme of racism’s beginnings. What social and physical factors lead to racial prejudice in the setting of the novel? How are racist systems perpetuated from one generation to the next? How are racist systems enforced?
Essay Topic 2
Houwha’s feelings about his identity as a tuner undergo a severe shift during his time in Syl Anagist. Explain how this shift occurs and what it leads him to do. What is his attitude before meeting Kelenli? Why do his experiences shape his new attitude? How does he ultimately view himself millennia later as Hoa?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Essun’s character and describe how her experiences with Castrima prepared her for the final confrontation with Nassun at Corepoint. How did her time with Castrima contribute to her state of mind? What was the effect of bringing her companions along? How did the journey influence her decisions in the conflict with Nassun?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)