|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Geoarcanicity?
2. What did Alma tell Yaetr Innovator Dibars in her reply to his letters?
3. The Leadership families of Yumenes believed that the world was once ruled by whom or what?
4. What will happen once Schaffa's corestone has been removed?
5. What sleeps in the cells of Warrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Sylanagistine feel towards the Niess?
2. What did the tuners intend to do when they were supposed to activate the Plutonic Engine?
3. How does Nassun react when Essun is transformed by the power of the Obelisk Gate?
4. Why does Essun give Nassun control of the Obelisk Gate?
5. Who goes to Corepoint with Essun?
6. How does Nassun respond when Essun hesitates to help her activate the obelisk gate?
7. What happens to the tuners on their way to Kelenli’s home during their second lesson?
8. What does Hoa reveal to Essun about Alabaster during their nighttime meeting in Rennanis?
9. When Steel, Antimony and Hoa meet, what reasoning does Steel give for manipulating Nassun?
10. Why does Essun object when Danel uses the word rogga during their last conversation before entering the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Jemisin develops the theme of racism’s beginnings. What social and physical factors lead to racial prejudice in the setting of the novel? How are racist systems perpetuated from one generation to the next? How are racist systems enforced?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 1 concludes with an interview between an old woman and an unnamed scribe. Write an essay explaining the importance of the interviewee’s statement to the themes and events of the novel. What ‘cycle’ is the old woman talking about? Which of the protagonists best exemplifies her approach?
Essay Topic 3
Dynamic characters are characters whose personalities, attitudes or behaviors change over the course of a work of fiction. Choose one character from the novel and explain why they are a dynamic character. In your explanation, analyze the changes that they undergo over the course of their character arc and what these changes signify about the novel’s themes.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)