|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Molly move in with?
2. Where do Molly's parents go when she goes to meet Monk?
3. How much older than Molly was Sam?
4. How does Sam answers Molly's questions?
5. What causes Molly to snap?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Molly realize that her husband has arrived and what does he do that makes her furious?
2. In what way does Molly impress Monk and show her true intelligence?
3. What does the rose bush in the story represent and what symbolism does it portray by the end of the chapter?
4. What information about Sam does Monk share with Molly?
5. What background information is provided about Sam in Chapter 6?
6. What feeling is the reader left with in relation to Molly, Trevor and Jennifer's relationship?
7. Describe Molly's reaction to Aspinall throughout the chapter.
8. In what way does the author illustrate Molly's status in Doncaster?
9. What does Molly do that her father finds disappointing?
10. What information does Molly learn about the man who had approached her the night before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author utilizes the weather to help demonstrate overall tones or feelings of specific chapters. Do you believe this is an effective writing strategy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the theme of secrets is developed throughout the novel? In what ways does this theme relate to the other themes used throughout the novel? Do you believe this is the most important theme? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At key points in the novel, the author uses many tools to set a depressing tone. Describe the ways the author sets this tone. Do you believe the author was effective at using these tool?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)