|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Viv say she feels as weak as?
2. What does Sluggsy tell Viv are all the same?
3. What have Horror and Sluggsy done to the hotel?
4. What does Bond tell Viv to do?
5. What kind of game does Sluggsy say is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sluggsy force Viv to put down the chair?
2. Summarize the eighth section.
3. What was Bond's last mission?
4. How does bond react to Viv telling him there is no room in the motel?
5. What does Viv see in the cupboard?
6. How does Viv try to hide from Horror and Sluggsy?
7. How does Viv try to escape?
8. Describe the character of James Bond.
9. How does Viv upset Sluggsy again at the end of the section?
10. How does the man at the front door persuade Viv to let him in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following statements to write a 500-word essay:
1) Viv is an example of a 1960s woman enjoying an increasingly liberal culture.
2) Fleming writes from Viv's point of view to distinguish any ideas that Bond merely uses women.
3) THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is so far removed from the usual Bond book that it cannot be considered as part of the series.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)