|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Derek and Viv eat scrambled eggs and drink coffee?
2. What kind of sandwiches does Viv make before she leaves each hotel?
3. What did Viv's letters to Derek end with?
4. What kind of alcohol did Derek and Viv buy from the pub?
5. What is Viv doing when someone knocks on the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kurt react when Viv tells him she is pregnant?
2. How do things change between Derek and Viv when Derek goes to Oxford?
3. Describe Viv's character.
4. Why does Viv not want to stay another night at the motel?
5. Summarize the fourth section.
6. Why does it take Viv two weeks to travel only 200 miles?
7. Why does Viv decide to move away from London?
8. Why does Viv cry?
9. Why does Viv have to stay an extra night at the motel?
10. Describe Viv's final trip to Windsor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s. How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Fleming writes THE SPY WHO LOVED ME in the first person and from Viv's perspective. Why do you think Fleming chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if Fleming wrote it in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)