|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Faraj ibn Ahmed Tabari meets with his superior to talk about the constitution, what does he say about reformers?
2. Fighting on the side of the Prophet Muhammad, Abd Umar works diligently to spread Islam across Byzantine regions although he _____.
3. In order for a Byzantine basilica to be built in Makor, what must be destroyed to make room for it?
4. In governing the people of Tubariyeh in the 1880s, the ruler of this city is used to doing what?
5. In Beirut, what happens to Faraj ibn Ahmed Tabari's brother-in-law, who is a constitution reformer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Volkmar, the Count of Gretz, end up as governor of Makor?
2. Why does Dr. Abulafia flee Spain during the Inquisition?
3. Summarize the state of Makor when Christianity prevails in the region around 313 C.E.
4. Who is the leader of Tiberias, known as Tubariyeh, found along the Sea of Galilee in 1880 C.E.?
5. Why does a priest, Father Vilspronck, come to Tell Makor in the last chapter?
6. Why does Makor fall so easily into Abd Umar's hands?
7. Describe the trip Volkmar the Eighth takes with his young son.
8. Who is Shmuel Hacohen, and what does he want from Tabari?
9. What happens when the Jews defend Safed in 1948?
10. In 1948, what does Isidore Gottesmann plan to do after the British leave Palestine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the many conflicts and wars that take place time and again in The Source, the author includes several close relationships based on love, mutual respect, and deep trust. Write about two of these relationships. How do these relationships serve as beacons of light during the turbulent history of Makor?
Essay Topic 2
During various points in the history of the region, Makor and nearby cities become places of refuge for those who are being persecuted and oppressed. Select a time when Makor or one of its nearby cities became a sanctuary for refugees. How is it that the refugees ended up here? How did their lives improve? What new hardships did they encounter? How did they overcome these new challenges?
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes in The Source is survival. By discussing the resilience of Makor through the ages and the survival of the descendants of the Family of Ur, explain how the author develops the theme of survival.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)