|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Crusades end?
2. As Volkmar, the eighth Count of Gretz, thinks about what went right and what went wrong during the Crusades, he concludes that _____.
3. When does intense fighting between Arabs and Jews begin in Safed?
4. Rabbi Asher has the stonecutter Yohanan finish the interior of what in Makor?
5. While the Gottesmanns and other Jews sing sustaining songs at Safed, what does Rabbi Itzik do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Law," who is Menahem, and why is he not accepted into the Jewish faith?
2. Summarize the state of Makor when Christianity prevails in the region around 313 C.E.
3. What happens in Podi, Italy after Rabbi Zaki and his family leave by ship in 1541?
4. In 1948, what does Isidore Gottesmann plan to do after the British leave Palestine?
5. How does the author show both the desire for peace and the volatility of Makor and its surroundings in the chapter "The Fires of Ma Coeur"?
6. While Europe is destroying itself during the Inquisition, what is happening in Safed?
7. Why does Volkmar the Eighth refuse the terms of the invaders, even if his life would be spared?
8. Describe the trip Volkmar the Eighth takes with his young son.
9. Both Ilan Eliav and John Cullinane want to marry Dr. Vered Bar-El. Is either man successful in his personal quest?
10. In the chapter "The Tell," what does Cullinane realize about Bar-El as he looks at pictures of her from newspaper clippings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the love triangle that exists between Cullinane, Bar-El, and Eliav. Why is Bar-El loyal to Eliav? Why does Cullinane continue to pursue Bar-El despite her loyalty to Eliav? If circumstances were different, would Bar-El be interested in a long-term relationship with Cullinane? Why does the author throw in a surprise ending with Paul Zodman? Support your answers with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the unusual friendship between Faraj ibn Ahmed Tabari, governor of Tubariyeh, and the Russian Jew immigrant Shmuel Hacohen. What bonds them together? What do they dislike about each other? Despite their personal dislikes, why do they help each other? How do they support one another?
Essay Topic 3
In many of the situations Michener creates, he employs irony. Find two instances where irony appears in The Source. In each case, explain what makes the situation ironic. State how irony adds greater depth to the situation.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)