|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Volkmar meets with a Mameluke captain, what concern does the captain raise?
2. When Menahem converts to Christianity, what name does he adopt?
3. In exchange for water in the Jewish settlements, the leader of Tubariyeh is trying to get baksheesh, which is what?
4. After Christianity is declared the religion of the empire, what does Rome want to build in Makor?
5. As the last chapter of the book opens in November 1964, John Cullinane is at the dig in Makor while Vered Bar-El is in _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Podi, Italy after Rabbi Zaki and his family leave by ship in 1541?
2. In "The Law," who is Menahem, and why is he not accepted into the Jewish faith?
3. What happens when the Jews defend Safed in 1948?
4. In 1948, what does Isidore Gottesmann plan to do after the British leave Palestine?
5. How does Volkmar, the Count of Gretz, end up as governor of Makor?
6. Why does Dr. Abulafia flee Spain during the Inquisition?
7. How does the author show both the desire for peace and the volatility of Makor and its surroundings in the chapter "The Fires of Ma Coeur"?
8. Who is Muzaffar, and how is he associated with Count Volkmar the Eighth?
9. In Safed, why does Rabbi Itzik of Vodzh decline to join the Jews who are singing in preparation for battle prior to the city being turned over to Arab rule?
10. In the chapter "Rabbi Itzik and the Sabra," the reader meets Vered Bar-El in her youth. Describe who she is and what she does in this chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Michener makes abundant use of symbolism throughout his novel. Cite three specific instances in the book where symbolism plays a key role in the story. In each case, answer the following:
1. What symbol is referenced?
2. What does the symbol represent?
3. How does symbolism enhance the story?
4. How is a symbol used to make a stronger point?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the invasion of Makor by the Arabic raider Abd Umar and the Christian crusader Gunter. Who shows greater mercy and compassion? How does Makor change after each of these invasions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the love triangle that exists between Cullinane, Bar-El, and Eliav. Why is Bar-El loyal to Eliav? Why does Cullinane continue to pursue Bar-El despite her loyalty to Eliav? If circumstances were different, would Bar-El be interested in a long-term relationship with Cullinane? Why does the author throw in a surprise ending with Paul Zodman? Support your answers with passages from the book.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)