|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gomer's son is forced to serve in the army of the _____.
2. When the general Vespasian is sent to crush the Jews of Makor, what does the now much older Yigal say his people must do?
3. In 2200 B.C.E., about seven thousand years after Makor is first inhabited, what types of dwellings are found there?
4. Dr. Vered Bar-El is Israel's top expert in dating what?
5. During the earliest days of Makor, who develops the practice of growing wheat ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are archaeologists hoping to find at Makor?
2. What kind of relationship does Zadok have with El-Shaddai?
3. Explain why Kerith is miserable in Makor.
4. What is the outcome of the battle between Zadok's people and Uriel's people?
5. Explain who Gomer and Rimmon are.
6. Explain who John Cullinane is and what he is doing in Israel.
7. Who are Jemail Tabari, Vered Bar-El, and Ilan Eliav, and how are they associated with John Cullinane?
8. When Michener fast forwards to the present-day dig at Makor in the chapter "Yigal and His Three Generals," what is Cullinane learning about the Ashkanazi and the Sephardi?
9. Who are Urbaal and Timna?
10. Why does Menalaus have surgery to reverse his circumcision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the city of Safed during its boom time in the 1500s. How did it go from a sleepy town of a thousand residents to a bustling trade center with more than sixty thousand inhabitants? What caused this city to grow so much in less than ninety years?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the invasion of Makor by the Arabic raider Abd Umar and the Christian crusader Gunter. Who shows greater mercy and compassion? How does Makor change after each of these invasions?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize what happens to Palestine in 1948 after the United Nations tries to divide the region into two independent states, one Jewish and one Palestinian Arab. What conflicts arise? How do these conflicts continue in one form or another today?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)