|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who opposes the plans Isidore Gottesman and other Jews are making for Safed?
(a) Netanel Hacohen.
(b) Ilan Eliav.
(c) Rabbi Itzik.
(d) Vered Bar-El.
2. When Faraj ibn Ahmed Tabari meets with his superior to talk about the constitution, what does he say about reformers?
(a) He does not support them.
(b) He does not know what they want.
(c) He wants to send them to Makor.
(d) He supports them completely.
3. At the end of the book, Tabari explains that he has never left the area because _____.
(a) The land is special to both Arabs and Jews.
(b) The food here is the best anywhere.
(c) His dead wife is buried on the hilltop, and he wants to be near her.
(d) An ancient curse prevents him from leaving.
4. Accompanied by the trader Muzaffar, what does Volkmar do on the trip he starts in April?
(a) Buys wares to sell at the new trading post.
(b) Stops at seven locations to negotiate with governors.
(c) Points out sights to his son and explains their history.
(d) Collects numerous books from nomadic sages.
5. When the ten Jews in Rabbi Itzik's congregation decide to stay in Safed and tell the other Jews to leave, what is their response?
(a) They go just outside the city walls and hide.
(b) They refuse to go and stay to fight.
(c) They kick the rabbi and his congregation out of town.
(d) They laugh and ask the rabbi for some food.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Crusades end, who inhabits the castle of Ma Coeur?
2. What type of work do Rabbi Zaki's wife and daughters do in Safed?
3. When Islam arrives at Makor, the population there consists primarily of Christians, Jews, and _____.
4. Even though the fifteenth century is the Renaissance era, the Jews continue to be what?
5. Isidore Gottesman and other Jews prepare to go to Safed to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the shoemaker Rabbi Zaki feel that he, his wife, and their family must leave their city of Podi, Italy?
2. Why does Volkmar the Eighth refuse the terms of the invaders, even if his life would be spared?
3. What does Tabari say about the constitution reformers when he meets with his superior?
4. In Safed, why does Rabbi Itzik of Vodzh decline to join the Jews who are singing in preparation for battle prior to the city being turned over to Arab rule?
5. In the chapter "The Tell," what does Cullinane realize about Bar-El as he looks at pictures of her from newspaper clippings?
6. Both Ilan Eliav and John Cullinane want to marry Dr. Vered Bar-El. Is either man successful in his personal quest?
7. Who is Muzaffar, and how is he associated with Count Volkmar the Eighth?
8. Why does Makor fall so easily into Abd Umar's hands?
9. What happens in Podi, Italy after Rabbi Zaki and his family leave by ship in 1541?
10. Who is the leader of Tiberias, known as Tubariyeh, found along the Sea of Galilee in 1880 C.E.?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)