|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the rabbis of Makor do with the Law, the directives delivered by God?
(a) Study and interpret them.
(b) Enforce them.
(c) Change them.
(d) Write them down on library walls.
2. Why can't Volkmar accept the terms presented by the Mameluke leaders upon their arrival to Makor?
(a) He would lose his life.
(b) He would lose his status.
(c) It would endanger his wife and son.
(d) It would mean slavery for his people.
3. What kind of place is Tubariyeh?
(a) Moderate and at sea level.
(b) Very cold at an elevation of ten thousand feet above sea level.
(c) Very hot and located at nearly seven hundred feet below sea level.
(d) Moderate even though it's eight thousand feet above sea level.
4. Why does Dr. Abulafia leave Spain?
(a) He gets a better job at Podi, Italy.
(b) He has Jewish ancestors and fears the Inquisition.
(c) He takes a trip to visit relatives in Germany.
(d) He is appalled at what Spain is doing and takes his family to Makor.
5. Rabbi Asher has the stonecutter Yohanan finish the interior of what in Makor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the four members of Rabbi Eliezer's family, which ones survive and find refuge?
2. What is the earliest date that Makor hears about Jesus Christ and his crucifixion?
3. In Beirut, what happens to Faraj ibn Ahmed Tabari's brother-in-law, who is a constitution reformer?
4. When do the Crusades end?
5. How does the stonecutter Yohanan distract his son Menahem who is treated like an outcast by the other children?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Law," who is Menahem, and why is he not accepted into the Jewish faith?
2. Why does the shoemaker Rabbi Zaki feel that he, his wife, and their family must leave their city of Podi, Italy?
3. In the chapter "The Tell," what does Cullinane realize about Bar-El as he looks at pictures of her from newspaper clippings?
4. Why does Hacohen purchase Jewish books from Tabari?
5. Why does a priest, Father Vilspronck, come to Tell Makor in the last chapter?
6. How does the author show both the desire for peace and the volatility of Makor and its surroundings in the chapter "The Fires of Ma Coeur"?
7. How does Volkmar, the Count of Gretz, end up as governor of Makor?
8. Who is Muzaffar, and how is he associated with Count Volkmar the Eighth?
9. Why does Dr. Abulafia flee Spain during the Inquisition?
10. Where are Vered Bar-El and John Cullinane as the chapter "The Tell" opens?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)