|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Islam arrives at Makor, the population there consists primarily of Christians, Jews, and _____.
2. When does Islam arrive in Makor?
(a) 803 C.E.
(b) 480 C.E.
(c) 635 C.E.
(d) 219 C.E.
3. Fighting on the side of the Prophet Muhammad, Abd Umar works diligently to spread Islam across Byzantine regions although he _____.
(a) Has a Jewish aunt and a Christian grandfather.
(b) Was born a Jew.
(c) Doesn't hate Christians or Jews.
(d) Was born a Christian.
4. In 1947, the United Nations proposes dividing Palestine into two independent states and making Jerusalem what?
(a) Half Palestinian, half Jewish.
(b) A part of Jordan.
(c) A part of Egypt.
(d) An independent, international city.
5. By the time Islam arrives at Makor, what major landmark has been there for three hundred years?
(a) Basilica of Saint Mary Magdalene.
(b) Library of the Wisdom of Ages.
(c) Cathedral of Saint Michael.
(d) Temple of the Olive Groves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Volkmar accept the terms presented by the Mameluke leaders upon their arrival to Makor?
2. Why does Rabbi Eliezer, a German Jew in Gretz, decide to leave Germany with his wife Leah and their family?
3. Rabbi Asher has the stonecutter Yohanan finish the interior of what in Makor?
4. What do the rabbis of Makor do with the Law, the directives delivered by God?
5. Abd Umar does not advocate violence and strives to capture Makor:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Volkmar the Eighth refuse the terms of the invaders, even if his life would be spared?
2. Why does Hacohen purchase Jewish books from Tabari?
3. In "The Law," who is Menahem, and why is he not accepted into the Jewish faith?
4. In Safed, why does Rabbi Itzik of Vodzh decline to join the Jews who are singing in preparation for battle prior to the city being turned over to Arab rule?
5. What happens in Podi, Italy after Rabbi Zaki and his family leave by ship in 1541?
6. Why does Dr. Abulafia flee Spain during the Inquisition?
7. Why does the shoemaker Rabbi Zaki feel that he, his wife, and their family must leave their city of Podi, Italy?
8. Describe the trip Volkmar the Eighth takes with his young son.
9. Why does Makor fall so easily into Abd Umar's hands?
10. What happens when the Jews defend Safed in 1948?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)