|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shmuel Hacohen seeks help from the leader of Tubariyeh to do what?
(a) Ask the Sultan to send a delegation to Spain.
(b) Bring the rest of his family to Tubariyeh.
(c) Collect enough money to sail to Italy.
(d) Acquire land where incoming Jews can settle.
2. What is the earliest date that Makor hears about Jesus Christ and his crucifixion?
(a) 172 C.E.
(b) 31 C.E.
(c) 59 C.E.
(d) 238 C.E.
3. What type of work do Rabbi Zaki's wife and daughters do in Safed?
(a) Spinning thread.
(b) Picking grapes.
(c) Baking bread.
(d) Making crepes.
4. In Safed, who ends up marrying Sarah, Rabbi Zaki's eldest daughter?
(a) Dr. Abulafia.
(b) Rabbi Zaki's distant cousin.
(c) Rabbi Eliezer's son.
(d) Yom Tov.
5. After Cullinane tells Eliav that he plans to marry Vered Bar-El, what does Eliav say?
(a) Vered finds Cullinane repulsive.
(b) Americans are so rude.
(c) Vered will never marry a non-Jew.
(d) A date for the wedding of Bar-El and Eliav has already been set.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Abulafia leave Spain?
2. In 1947, the United Nations proposes dividing Palestine into two independent states and making Jerusalem what?
3. Shmuel Hacohen is a Jewish immigrant who ends up in Tubariyeh from where?
4. In 1500, Safed is a sleepy town of a thousand inhabitants. Within ninety years, it becomes a bustling city of approximately how many inhabitants?
5. When does intense fighting between Arabs and Jews begin in Safed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter "Rabbi Itzik and the Sabra," the reader meets Vered Bar-El in her youth. Describe who she is and what she does in this chapter.
2. Where are Vered Bar-El and John Cullinane as the chapter "The Tell" opens?
3. Why does Hacohen purchase Jewish books from Tabari?
4. What happens in Podi, Italy after Rabbi Zaki and his family leave by ship in 1541?
5. In "The Law," why does Menahem become Christian?
6. Describe Abd Umar and his background.
7. What happens when the Jews defend Safed in 1948?
8. Why does a priest, Father Vilspronck, come to Tell Makor in the last chapter?
9. Both Ilan Eliav and John Cullinane want to marry Dr. Vered Bar-El. Is either man successful in his personal quest?
10. In "The Law," who is Menahem, and why is he not accepted into the Jewish faith?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)