|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the book opens, Dr. John Cullinane arrives where?
(a) Holy Land.
2. Who is Kerith?
(a) Hoopoe's wife.
(b) General from Jerusalem.
(c) Hoopoe's slave.
(d) General from Makor.
3. How old is Yigal in the year 67 C.E.?
4. The voice of the Hebrew god El-Shaddai tells the old man Zadok to _____.
(a) Forgive his brother.
(b) Befriend his enemies.
(c) Leave the desert.
(d) Go to the forest.
5. Leah, who is Zadok's daughter, wants to marry whom?
(a) Uriel's son Uriah.
(b) Uriel's son Zebion.
(c) Amalek's son Estanto.
(d) Amalek's son Azani.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cullinane, the earliest people of Makor lived in what?
2. Dr. Cullinane's expedition is being managed and administered by archaeologist Ilan Eliav, who works for a _____.
3. When Makor is part of the Seleucid Empire and an edict is given stating that Jews can no longer circumcise their male children, some Jews justify this order while others _____.
4. The history of Makor begins with the family of a man named what?
5. Baal, one of the gods of the Canaanites, evolved from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Kerith is miserable in Makor.
2. How are Timon and Shelomith saved?
3. Explain why the rulers of Makor during the Seleucid Empire allow the Jews of the town to worship as they wish.
4. What are archaeologists hoping to find at Makor?
5. Who is Yigal, and how does he become a leader of his people?
6. Why does the leader of the Canaanites accept Zadok and his people?
7. What type of relationship do the Roman architect Timon and his Jewish wife Shelomith have?
8. Describe Hoopoe's engineering projects.
9. When Michener fast forwards to the present-day dig at Makor in the chapter "Yigal and His Three Generals," what is Cullinane learning about the Ashkanazi and the Sephardi?
10. What time and money investment will be required to complete the dig at Makor? How much finances does Cullinane have on hand?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)