|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his way to Makor, Abd Umar sees Safat burning and knows that it is the work of whom?
(a) Abu Zeid.
(b) Abd Zair.
(c) Abu Malek.
(d) Abd Mehdi.
2. What gift is the young son of Volkmar, the eighth Count of Gretz, given at Saphet?
(a) Egyptian camel.
(b) Indian tiger.
(c) Turkish horse.
(d) Persian peacock.
3. What kind of place is Tubariyeh?
(a) Very cold at an elevation of ten thousand feet above sea level.
(b) Moderate and at sea level.
(c) Moderate even though it's eight thousand feet above sea level.
(d) Very hot and located at nearly seven hundred feet below sea level.
4. In Podi, Italy, what does Rabbi Zaki tell his wife?
(a) They are not allowed to have any more children.
(b) They have been given fifty acres of land.
(c) They will have to leave.
(d) They must send her brother home.
5. Even though the fifteenth century is the Renaissance era, the Jews continue to be what?
(b) Given special privileges.
6. When Menahem converts to Christianity, what name does he adopt?
7. Why does Rabbi Itzik want the British to stay in Safed?
(a) He likes the British way of life.
(b) So Jews and Arabs continue to get along.
(c) So the British can draw up treaties with the Greeks.
(d) So the Dutch won't gain too much power.
8. Why does Muzaffar urge Volkmar to send his son back to Germany?
(a) He believes the Mamelukes will invade.
(b) He feels his son is a bad influence on Makor.
(c) He believes the boy should attend German schools.
(d) He wants more power for himself.
9. What do the rabbis of Makor do with the Law, the directives delivered by God?
(a) Write them down on library walls.
(b) Enforce them.
(c) Study and interpret them.
(d) Change them.
10. Even though Yohanan wants his son Menahem to be a Jew, what do the rabbis tell him?
(a) He can't be.
(b) One day he may be.
(c) He can choose to join the faith only after he spends twenty years studying.
(d) He can choose to join the faith when he's twenty-one.
11. In order for a Byzantine basilica to be built in Makor, what must be destroyed to make room for it?
(a) Thirty Jewish buildings.
(b) Part of the irrigation system.
(c) Part of the wall that surrounds Makor.
(d) The library.
12. When Islam arrives at Makor, the population there consists primarily of Christians, Jews, and _____.
13. Why does the widow Zipporah seek Cullinane's help?
(a) She wants to marry someone but can't get permission to do so.
(b) She's attracted to Cullinane and simply wants more time with him.
(c) She wants to become an archaeologist but doesn't know where to start.
(d) She wants a job at the dig but nobody will hire her.
14. Why does Dr. Abulafia leave Spain?
(a) He has Jewish ancestors and fears the Inquisition.
(b) He gets a better job at Podi, Italy.
(c) He is appalled at what Spain is doing and takes his family to Makor.
(d) He takes a trip to visit relatives in Germany.
15. What type of work do Rabbi Zaki's wife and daughters do in Safed?
(a) Making crepes.
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Spinning thread.
(d) Picking grapes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Volkmar meets with a Mameluke captain, what concern does the captain raise?
2. When Faraj ibn Ahmed Tabari travels to Akka by caravan, who does he encounter?
3. In exchange for water in the Jewish settlements, the leader of Tubariyeh is trying to get baksheesh, which is what?
4. At the end of World War II, Isidore Gottesman marries Ilana and settles where?
5. In 1500, Safed is a sleepy town of a thousand inhabitants. Within ninety years, it becomes a bustling city of approximately how many inhabitants?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)