|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abd Umar believes that the Jews discovered God, that God sent Jesus Christ as a prophet, and that God sent Muhammad as the next prophet, making Islam what?
(a) A common sense approach to daily life.
(b) The only religion that tolerates others.
(c) A compilation of all world religions put together.
(d) A continuation of the religions started by Jews and Christians.
2. After Rabbi Zaki's wife Rachel dies in Safed, who does he end up marrying?
(a) Elisheba, daughter of Rabbi Eliezer.
(b) Analisa, sister of Dr. Abulafia.
(c) Johana, sister of Rabbi Eliezer.
(d) Mariana, daughter of Dr. Abulafia.
3. The Mamelukes take over the Muslim Empire from Damascus. Volkmar requests permission from the Mamelukes to do what?
(a) Build a library in their capital city.
(b) Travel with his son through the empire.
(c) Establish a trading post near Damascus.
(d) Negotiate a treaty with their leader.
4. When Shmuel Hacohen is nearly stoned to death, who saves his life?
(a) Kerith El Hopoe.
(b) Mameluke Volkmar.
(c) Ilan Vered.
(d) Faraj ibn Ahmed Tabari.
5. When Menahem converts to Christianity, who else converts with him?
(a) The local tax collector.
(b) His father Yohanan.
(c) Rabbi Asher.
(d) His beloved Jael.
6. After looking at newspaper clippings of Vered Bar-El, Cullinane decides that he will do what?
(a) Confront Ilan Eliav and state his love for Vered.
(b) Propose as soon as she gets off the plane.
(c) Get back to work and forget about her.
(d) Catch the next plane back to America.
7. Why does the widow Zipporah seek Cullinane's help?
(a) She wants to become an archaeologist but doesn't know where to start.
(b) She wants to marry someone but can't get permission to do so.
(c) She wants a job at the dig but nobody will hire her.
(d) She's attracted to Cullinane and simply wants more time with him.
8. When the ten Jews in Rabbi Itzik's congregation decide to stay in Safed and tell the other Jews to leave, what is their response?
(a) They go just outside the city walls and hide.
(b) They kick the rabbi and his congregation out of town.
(c) They refuse to go and stay to fight.
(d) They laugh and ask the rabbi for some food.
9. Shmuel Hacohen is a Jewish immigrant who ends up in Tubariyeh from where?
10. What is the earliest date that Makor hears about Jesus Christ and his crucifixion?
(a) 31 C.E.
(b) 172 C.E.
(c) 238 C.E.
(d) 59 C.E.
11. After Cullinane tells Eliav that he plans to marry Vered Bar-El, what does Eliav say?
(a) Americans are so rude.
(b) Vered will never marry a non-Jew.
(c) A date for the wedding of Bar-El and Eliav has already been set.
(d) Vered finds Cullinane repulsive.
12. When is Christianity declared the religion of the empire that Makor is a part of?
(a) 227 C.E.
(b) 89 C.E.
(c) 313 C.E.
(d) 142 C.E.
13. In Podi, Italy, what does Rabbi Zaki tell his wife?
(a) They will have to leave.
(b) They have been given fifty acres of land.
(c) They must send her brother home.
(d) They are not allowed to have any more children.
14. Even though Yohanan wants his son Menahem to be a Jew, what do the rabbis tell him?
(a) He can choose to join the faith when he's twenty-one.
(b) He can choose to join the faith only after he spends twenty years studying.
(c) He can't be.
(d) One day he may be.
15. Of the four members of Rabbi Eliezer's family, which ones survive and find refuge?
(a) Only Rabbi Eliezer.
(b) The rabbi and his son.
(c) The rabbi and his daughter.
(d) Rabbi Eliezer and his wife Leah.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Volkmar stop to talk with a group of Jews in Acre?
2. When the Gottesmans and other Jews arrive at Safed and prepare to defend the city from being turned over to Arab control, which child is among those who greet them?
3. Accompanied by the trader Muzaffar, what does Volkmar do on the trip he starts in April?
4. In "Twilight of an Empire," who is the ruler of Tiberias, a city that is called Tubariyeh in 1880?
5. When do the Crusades end?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)