|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the last chapter of the book opens in November 1964, John Cullinane is at the dig in Makor while Vered Bar-El is in _____.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) San Antonio.
2. In Podi, Italy, what does Rabbi Zaki tell his wife?
(a) They are not allowed to have any more children.
(b) They have been given fifty acres of land.
(c) They will have to leave.
(d) They must send her brother home.
3. In the last chapter, Cullinane is surprised to discover that Ilan Eliav has been offered what?
(a) A job on a cruise ship.
(b) A teaching position at Harvard.
(c) A job at another dig.
(d) A cabinet post.
4. Why does Dr. Abulafia leave Spain?
(a) He is appalled at what Spain is doing and takes his family to Makor.
(b) He takes a trip to visit relatives in Germany.
(c) He has Jewish ancestors and fears the Inquisition.
(d) He gets a better job at Podi, Italy.
5. The Mamelukes take over the Muslim Empire from Damascus. Volkmar requests permission from the Mamelukes to do what?
(a) Build a library in their capital city.
(b) Negotiate a treaty with their leader.
(c) Establish a trading post near Damascus.
(d) Travel with his son through the empire.
6. After winning Safed over to the Jewish state, Gottesmann and other Jews go on to fight at Akka and:
7. When Islam arrives at Makor, the population there consists primarily of Christians, Jews, and _____.
8. In Beirut, what happens to Faraj ibn Ahmed Tabari's brother-in-law, who is a constitution reformer?
(a) He is kidnapped by Bedouins and sold into slavery.
(b) He is promoted to the position of captain.
(c) He is given asylum and is free to roam the city.
(d) He is accused of conspiracy and hanged.
9. What gift is the young son of Volkmar, the eighth Count of Gretz, given at Saphet?
(a) Persian peacock.
(b) Turkish horse.
(c) Indian tiger.
(d) Egyptian camel.
10. After Cullinane tells Eliav that he plans to marry Vered Bar-El, what does Eliav say?
(a) A date for the wedding of Bar-El and Eliav has already been set.
(b) Vered will never marry a non-Jew.
(c) Americans are so rude.
(d) Vered finds Cullinane repulsive.
11. Abd Umar believes that the Jews discovered God, that God sent Jesus Christ as a prophet, and that God sent Muhammad as the next prophet, making Islam what?
(a) A compilation of all world religions put together.
(b) A continuation of the religions started by Jews and Christians.
(c) A common sense approach to daily life.
(d) The only religion that tolerates others.
12. At the end of the book, who does Vered Bar-El decide to marry?
13. When Eliav reveals that Oxford has offered him a prestigious teaching position, he says that _____.
(a) He's considering it.
(b) He'll never leave Israel.
(c) It doesn't pay enough.
(d) Vered will decide for him.
14. When Menahem converts to Christianity, who else converts with him?
(a) His beloved Jael.
(b) The local tax collector.
(c) Rabbi Asher.
(d) His father Yohanan.
15. When Tabari offers Shmuel Hacohen Jewish books, what does Hacohen do?
(a) Asks Tabari to donate the books to a nearby synagogue.
(b) Demands that the books be returned to their rightful owner.
(c) Declines the books.
(d) Buys the books.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Shmuel Hacohen is nearly stoned to death, who saves his life?
2. In Safed, who ends up marrying Sarah, Rabbi Zaki's eldest daughter?
3. In exchange for water in the Jewish settlements, the leader of Tubariyeh is trying to get baksheesh, which is what?
4. Even though Yohanan wants his son Menahem to be a Jew, what do the rabbis tell him?
5. When does intense fighting between Arabs and Jews begin in Safed?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)