|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During rush hour, how often do trains on the Yokosuka Line run?
2. How old are the lotus seeds that a lotus doctor manages to get to blossom?
3. What are the dresses made from that Kikuko brings Fusako from Tokyo?
4. What city did Aihara list as his residence when he checked into the inn where he attempted suicide?
5. In Chapter 15, what color are the leaves of the cherry tree that are falling prematurely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to a little girl when Satoko grabbed the girl's kimono sleeve?
2. Why does Satoko rip off cherry branches?
3. In Chapter 15, what does Yasuko find odd about the cherry tree?
4. What news does Eiko bring Shingo in Chapter 13, Section 2?
5. What article does Yasuko read to Shingo about a man from Buffalo, New York?
6. What is Shingo's first dream in Chapter 12, Section 3?
7. How did Teru act last winter when Kikuko saw a snake at the kitchen door?
8. Who does Shingo follow when he gets to the garden where he is to meet Kikuko?
9. Why did the president of a boat and yacht company decide to disappear with his wife?
10. What wakes Shingo when he dozes on the train in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kikuko is considering giving tea lessons. Discuss tea lessons and why Kikuko considers giving tea lessons.
Essay Topic 2
The Ogata family attends a Kabuki play. Discuss Kabuki plays, and the play that the family attended.
Essay Topic 3
Yasuko says "storms make trees take deeper root." Discuss what this phrase means and how it relates to problems faced by characters in the novel.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)