|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flowers does Kikuko have by a tea tray in Chapter 9?
2. What type of flowers now grow in front of the house that had sunflowers last year?
3. What type of tree is over the bench where Kikuko waits to meet Shingo?
4. When Eiko tells Shingo that Kinu is pregnant, how far along is Kinu?
5. Where has Shuichi gone when Shingo gets up in Chapter 15, Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kikuko get money for an abortion?
2. Where does Kikuko tell Satoko to go when she complains about Kikuko sewing her dress?
3. What is being celebrated and how at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. Why did Kikuko decide to see a widowed friend who gives tea lessons?
5. Why does Satoko rip off cherry branches?
6. Who does Shingo follow when he gets to the garden where he is to meet Kikuko?
7. How does Kikuko describe the branches at the base of the cherry tree?
8. What article does Yasuko read to Shingo about a man from Buffalo, New York?
9. What news does Eiko bring Shingo in Chapter 13, Section 2?
10. How is Shingo dealing with the yatsude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shingo appears to have changed the most in the novel. Discuss how characters did or did not change through the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Shingo's friend sells him some No masks. Discuss No masks and what they mean to Shingo, Yasuko, and Kikuko.
Essay Topic 3
Fusako seems to be jealous of Kikuko. Discuss the relationship between Fusako and Kikuko.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)