|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger is Kinu than Mrs. Ikeda?
2. What plant grows under Shingo's cherry tree?
3. In mid-August, what is wrong with the friend who Shingo goes to see in the hospital?
4. How old was the president of a boat and yacht company who disappeared?
5. The woman who disappeared with her husband had a sister she visited before she left. How old was the sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to a little girl when Satoko grabbed the girl's kimono sleeve?
2. What did Shuichi do when he learned that Kinu was pregnant?
3. What does Kikuko read about Aihara in the newspaper?
4. What news does Eiko bring Shingo in Chapter 13, Section 2?
5. What does Fusako take from Kikuko in Chapter 12?
6. What presents does Kikuko bring back from Tokyo?
7. How did Kikuko get money for an abortion?
8. How does Shingo describe a young girl who wants a seat saved on a train?
9. How does Shingo describe a foreigner who is on the train when it is stopped in Chapter 15?
10. What does Kikuko explain about the ringing of the bell for the anniversary celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shingo's friend sells him some No masks. Discuss No masks and what they mean to Shingo, Yasuko, and Kikuko.
Essay Topic 2
Both Yasuko and Shingo have dreams. Discuss and compare the dreams that they have.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, occasionally the back-story behind events that are occurring in the story are revealed. Discuss the back-story and how the author accomplishes revealing the back-story.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)