|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the geisha who sits on Shingo's lap when he sees several geisha home?
2. What type of flowers does Kikuko have by a tea tray in Chapter 9?
3. What music is Kikuko playing when Shingo calls her at her family's home?
4. In Chapter 10, what bird does Shingo hear before it flies off toward the sea?
5. Who wrote the haiku that comes to Shingo's mind in Chapter 12, Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kikuko explain about the ringing of the bell for the anniversary celebration?
2. What news does Eiko bring Shingo in Chapter 13, Section 2?
3. What did Shuichi do when he learned that Kinu was pregnant?
4. What wakes Shingo when he dozes on the train in Chapter 15?
5. What does Fusako take from Kikuko in Chapter 12?
6. Why does a friend of Shingo's say that he wants potassium cyanide?
7. How does Kikuko describe the branches at the base of the cherry tree?
8. What does Kikuko read about Aihara in the newspaper?
9. How did Americans get some ancient lotus seeds to sprout?
10. Why does Shingo suspect that his friend who had cancer died from suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Yasuko and the relationship she had with her family--her parents and sister.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses descriptions of nature to illustrate or emphasize Shingo's state of mind. Discuss how descriptions of nature are used to illustrate or emphasize Shingo's state of mind.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the phrase "calmly swam through while everyone else was going under" applied to Shingo and his friends.
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)