|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the dresses made from that Kikuko brings Fusako from Tokyo?
2. Where does a friend make reservations to meet Shingo after they have dinner and then sit in the bar?
3. How old was the president of a boat and yacht company who disappeared?
4. What plant grows under Shingo's cherry tree?
5. In Chapter 13, what color flowers grow in front of the house that had sunflowers growing last year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Teru act last winter when Kikuko saw a snake at the kitchen door?
2. How does Shingo describe a foreigner who is on the train when it is stopped in Chapter 15?
3. What does Kikuko explain about the ringing of the bell for the anniversary celebration?
4. What happened to a little girl when Satoko grabbed the girl's kimono sleeve?
5. Why does Shingo take his shoe off his right foot on the train?
6. Why hasn't Shingo been giving Kikuko an allowance?
7. How does Kikuko describe the branches at the base of the cherry tree?
8. What article does Yasuko read to Shingo about a man from Buffalo, New York?
9. Why did the president of a boat and yacht company decide to disappear with his wife?
10. How did Kikuko get money for an abortion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Yasuko and the relationship she had with her family--her parents and sister.
Essay Topic 2
Shingo learns that Kikuko has had an abortion. Discuss abortion and how it affects various characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss round and flat characters in the "The Sound of the Mountain".
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)