|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is on the gate of the house where Shuichi's mistress lives?
2. In a eulogy, how many years did a woman painter wear her hair straight back and held in place by a comb?
3. How long after Eiko quits work does she bring the woman who shares a house with Shuichi's mistress to see Shingo?
4. What did Grandfather Amamiya bring when he came to say that he was leaving?
5. According to a survey by the Aomori Prefectural Public Health Service, how many cases of abortion were there among girls of high-school age?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had the newspapers predicted about the 210th day of the year?
2. How did Mizuta die?
3. How does Shingo attempt to make his wife stop snoring?
4. Describe the circumstances of Kikuko's birth.
5. In Chapter 6, what does Shingo see at an inn after he makes arrangements for guests of his firm to visit?
6. What music is Kikuko playing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
7. What type of a person was Toriyama?
8. What is noticed about the trees in the garden after the typhoon?
9. What does it mean when someone is called a "half a widow"?
10. Why does Shingo try to get Kikuko to lie down in Section 2 of Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the phrase "calmly swam through while everyone else was going under" applied to Shingo and his friends.
Essay Topic 2
Shingo appears to have changed the most in the novel. Discuss how characters did or did not change through the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Shingo refers to Kikuko as both injured party and absolver. Discuss what Shingo means when he refers to Kikuko as an injured party and an absolver.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)