|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does Yasuko listen to a news commentary?
2. What type of thickets are the side of a stream Shingo sees from his window at the inn?
3. During what season did Fusako leave her husband?
4. What type of flowers does Kikuko notice blooming since the typhoon damaged the sunflowers?
5. How many children were in Kikuko's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shingo try to get Kikuko to lie down in Section 2 of Chapter 7?
2. How did Mizuta die?
3. What had the newspapers predicted about the 210th day of the year?
4. What story did a geisha tell Shingo in Chapter 1?
5. How does Shingo describe sunflowers he sees in his neighborhood?
6. What sound does Shingo hear when he wakes in the night in Chapter 1?
7. What is noticed about the trees in the garden after the typhoon?
8. What does Yasuko tell her daughter when Fusako says that Shingo is nice to Kikuko?
9. Why would it be difficult for Fusako and Aihara to flee if the typhoon should get really bad?
10. What does Mrs. Ikeda think would help get Shuichi to leave his mistress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shingo's friend sells him some No masks. Discuss No masks and what they mean to Shingo, Yasuko, and Kikuko.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Ikeda believes it would be best if Kikuko and Shuichi had their own home. Discuss why it was thought that Kikuko and Shuichi should have their own home, and how various characters feel about the subject.
Essay Topic 3
Shingo learns that Kikuko has had an abortion. Discuss abortion and how it affects various characters.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)