|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flowers grow near Shingo's neighbor's house?
2. How many days does Shingo believe it will take to bring Fusako back?
3. What actor plays Benkei in the Kabuki play?
4. How old is the young girl who talks to Shingo about flowers blooming near her house?
5. How old is Shingo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the house look like where Shuichi's mistress lives?
2. Why does Kikuko have a scar on her forehead?
3. Describe the photograph of Toriyama that was at his funeral.
4. Why doesn't Shuichi think Kikuko is worried about the weather in Chapter 3?
5. What does Mrs. Ikeda think would help get Shuichi to leave his mistress?
6. In Chapter 6, what does Shingo see at an inn after he makes arrangements for guests of his firm to visit?
7. What does Yasuko tell her daughter when Fusako says that Shingo is nice to Kikuko?
8. What type of a person was Toriyama?
9. How did Toriyama's wife torture him when she was going through the change of life?
10. Why was Kitamoto put in a mental hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Yasuko and the relationship she had with her family--her parents and sister.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss round and flat characters in the "The Sound of the Mountain".
Essay Topic 3
Shingo appears to have changed the most in the novel. Discuss how characters did or did not change through the course of the novel.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)