|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of nuts does Shingo eat in Chapter 1?
2. Where does Shingo think he might take a vacation in the summer?
3. What type of flowers does Kikuko notice blooming since the typhoon damaged the sunflowers?
4. What type of flowers grow near Shingo's neighbor's house?
5. How long have Yasuko and Shingo been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What music is Kikuko playing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. What does it mean when someone is called a "half a widow"?
3. Why do the sunflowers make Shingo think of heads?
4. How does Shingo describe sunflowers he sees in his neighborhood?
5. With whom did Shingo go dancing one night?
6. What had the newspapers predicted about the 210th day of the year?
7. How does Shingo attempt to make his wife stop snoring?
8. How did Toriyama's wife torture him when she was going through the change of life?
9. What does Shingo struggle to remember at the beginning of Chapter 1?
10. Why was Kitamoto put in a mental hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, occasionally the back-story behind events that are occurring in the story are revealed. Discuss the back-story and how the author accomplishes revealing the back-story.
Essay Topic 2
The Ogata family attends a Kabuki play. Discuss Kabuki plays, and the play that the family attended.
Essay Topic 3
Shingo learns that Kikuko has had an abortion. Discuss abortion and how it affects various characters.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)