|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the young girl who talks to Shingo about flowers blooming near her house?
(a) 10 or 11.
(b) 12 or 13.
(c) 11 or 12.
(d) 9 or 10.
2. Where is Yasuko's old family house located?
3. Who wakes Shingo early on New Year's Day?
4. How long is Tanna Tunnel?
(a) 3 miles.
(b) 4 miles.
(c) 5 miles.
(d) 2 miles.
5. How old was Tanizaki when the man she loved died in the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what type of leaf does Kikuko bring Shingo with a glass of water?
2. What does Kikuko prepare to give Shuichi for his hangover in Chapter 8?
3. What is the name of a maid Shingo attempts to remember?
4. How many days does Shingo believe it will take to bring Fusako back?
5. How long has the maid been gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chestnuts," what birds does Shingo see?
2. What does the house look like where Shuichi's mistress lives?
3. Why doesn't Shuichi think Kikuko is worried about the weather in Chapter 3?
4. How does Shingo attempt to make his wife stop snoring?
5. How did Shingo come to hire Eiko?
6. What story did a geisha tell Shingo in Chapter 1?
7. What does it mean when someone is called a "half a widow"?
8. In Chapter 6, what does Shingo see at an inn after he makes arrangements for guests of his firm to visit?
9. Describe the photograph of Toriyama that was at his funeral.
10. What music is Kikuko playing at the beginning of Chapter 3?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)