|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Eiko wearing on New Year's Day when she visits the Ogata family?
(a) Black velvet dress.
(b) Business suit.
(c) Colorful kimono.
(d) Flowered dress.
2. How long has Eiko worked in Shingo's office?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 18 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 3 years.
3. What does Shingo observe that the fence is made of that is in front of the house where Shuichi's mistress lives?
4. Where did Shuichi grow up?
5. Where is Yasuko's old family house located?
6. How long have Yasuko and Shingo been married?
(a) More than 30 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) About 40 years.
(d) 38 years.
7. In Chapter 5, what flowers are on Kikuko's obi and cloak?
8. How many cigarettes does Shingo have in Section 3 of Chapter 3 before he asks Eiko to go dancing?
9. What type of nuts does Shingo eat in Chapter 1?
10. What is the name of the dog that had puppies under Shingo's house?
11. When did a geisha tell Shingo that she had considered committing suicide?
(a) 2 days ago.
(b) 2 months earlier.
(c) 1 month earlier.
(d) 1 year ago.
12. Where does Shingo think he might take a vacation in the summer?
13. What does Kikuko prepare to give Shuichi for his hangover in Chapter 8?
(a) Rice wine.
(b) Warm tea.
(c) Cold sake.
(d) Plum wine.
14. During what season did Fusako leave her husband?
15. How many days does Shingo believe it will take to bring Fusako back?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flowers grow near Shingo's neighbor's house?
2. What direction does Shingo sit facing when the family eats meals together?
3. What does Shuichi hand Kikuko when he comes home at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What did Shingo believe that he picked up during a walk?
5. How old was a woman painter when she died in a eulogy that Yasuko read?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)