|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does DuBois say might change how the Veil sits on the American blacks?
2. What is the ratio of blacks to whites in the Black Belt?
3. When does DuBois say universal suffrage a popular topic in the South?
4. What kind of cabin does DuBois say is the exception the rule?
5. How has Texas affected farming in the Black Belt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does DuBois characterize the Music in the Southern Negro revival meeting?
2. What is the reason for this tragic anecdote, as the penultimate chapter, coming on the heels of the previous, more triumphant chapter, as it does?
3. What did the Fisk Jubilee Singers accomplish?
4. What factors does DuBois say have led to crime among blacks?
5. What does DuBois say is at the heart of the sorrow songs?
6. How does this chapter differ from the previous chapters?
7. How has the price of cotton affected the Black Belt?
8. How does DuBois describe the one-room cabin most blacks live in, in Dougherty county?
9. What is the black farmer’s relationship with the white merchant, according to DuBois?
10. What vision does DuBois have, of the blacks’ importance in the world economy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is The Souls of Black Folk relevant to contemporary readers? What contemporary issues are in play in the book, and how would the book contribute to contemporary discussion? Cite specific discussions from contemporary sources, and cite specific instances from the book, that describe its contemporary relevance.
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of The Souls of Black Folk. What is this book’s place in culture? What are its uses? What are its limitations?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)