|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of his life did DuBois spend teaching in the South?
2. How many students did DuBois have in his first classroom?
3. What conclusion does DuBois come to, regarding color-prejudice?
4. What does DuBois say is the problem of the twentieth century?
5. What is the afterthought to this second thought, in DuBois' account?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does DuBois say is the result of the Freedmen’s Bureau’s work?
2. What mistake does DuBois say the South has made in regard to educating the blacks?
3. How does DuBois characterize Josie?
4. Whose influence does DuBois say has been superseded by the new authority of money?
5. What are the three thoughts DuBois describes at the beginning of Chapter 6—and the three afterthoughts that follow them?
6. How does DuBois characterize the problem he is addressing, in the Forethought?
7. What problem did freed blacks pose for the Union army, and what solution was ultimately found?
8. What gift does DuBois say the North made to the blacks in the South after the war?
9. How do absentee landlords affect life in the Black Belt?
10. What are the four periods of Southern education DuBois describes from the end of the War to the present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend The Souls of Black Folk? For what purposes would you recommend The Souls of Black Folk, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of debt in the lives of the blacks DuBois describes? Using examples from the text, describe the importance of debt as an obstacle to the self-fullment of blacks, and describe DuBois’ proposals for mitigating this problem.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)