|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hippomenes do to win the race and marry Atalanta?
2. What does DuBois say is the end that meat nourishes?
3. What most of the hundred hills of Atlanta crowned with, according to DuBois?
4. Who does DuBois say enjoyed the heyday when cotton production expanded in West Dougherty County?
5. What advice does DuBois say blacks have been getting from whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Atlanta Compromise?
2. What does DuBois say is the problem surrounding Negro suffrage?
3. What mistake does DuBois say the South has made in regard to educating the blacks?
4. Sam Hose appears a number of times in The Souls of Black Folk. What was his story—what does his name represent?
5. Name some of the relief organizations who sent people and aid to the blacks in the South in cooperation with the Freedmen’s Bureau.
6. What vision does DuBois have of his equality with artists and thinkers?
7. What are the four periods of Southern education DuBois describes from the end of the War to the present?
8. What kinds of things is DuBois interested in when he describes the Black Belt?
9. What is double-consciousness?
10. Describe the labor problem facing freed blacks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Sorrow Songs in DuBois’ vision of how American culture could evolve over time? Using examples from the text, particularly from the last chapter, assess the importance of the sorrow song in either removing the Veil or making it bearable.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)