|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does DuBois say people were beginning to feel when Booker T. Washington began to lead?
2. How many blacks is W. E. B. DuBois accounting for in The Souls of Black Folk?
3. How does DuBois characterize Hippomenes?
4. Which of these things did Booker T. Washington NOT ask American Negroes to give up?
5. What is the afterthought to this thought, in DuBois' account?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Atalanta, and how does DuBois apply it to the blacks in America?
2. Whose influence does DuBois say has been superseded by the new authority of money?
3. When did DuBois discover that he lived ‘within the Veil’?
4. What problem did freed blacks pose for the Union army, and what solution was ultimately found?
5. How does DuBois describe the atmosphere at Fisk University?
6. How do absentee landlords affect life in the Black Belt?
7. What does DuBois say is the result of the Freedmen’s Bureau’s work?
8. Describe the growth of the population of blacks in Georgia from 1808 to the war.
9. Sam Hose appears a number of times in The Souls of Black Folk. What was his story—what does his name represent?
10. What ideal would W. E. B. DuBois have American blacks follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
What topics would you like to research further, after reading The Souls of Black Folk. Describe why additional research or reading would be beneficial to an understanding of this book. Propose a list of articles or books you would read in order to get a better handle on The Souls of Black Folk.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of debt in the lives of the blacks DuBois describes? Using examples from the text, describe the importance of debt as an obstacle to the self-fullment of blacks, and describe DuBois’ proposals for mitigating this problem.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)