|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the whites in John’s hometown say about him going to school?
(a) It would corrupt him.
(b) He would never return.
(c) It would spoil him.
(d) It would help the community.
2. Where did Alexander Crummell finally practice as a minister?
(d) New York.
3. What advantage do the farmers to rent for fixed money enjoy, according to DuBois?
(a) They get lower prices on supplies.
(b) They benefit from their improvements
(c) They can select their crops.
(d) They get better prices for their crops.
4. What does DuBois say his first feeling for his son was?
(a) He was afraid for him.
(b) He did not love him.
(c) He was terrified by him.
(d) He loved him immediately.
5. How does DuBois characterize the son’s relation to the Veil?
(a) He was born free of it.
(b) He was born behind it.
(c) He was born within it.
(d) He was born beyond it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does DuBois say he met Alexander Crummell for the first time?
2. What is the avenue for escape from the grind of debt, according to DuBois?
3. What does DuBois say might change how the Veil sits on the American blacks?
4. What news did DuBois get, at the beginning of the chapter?
5. Where is DuBois originally from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of music in the coming of John?
2. How does DuBois characterize the Preacher in the Southern Negro revival meeting?
3. How did Alexander Crummell overcome the temptation of Hate?
4. What vision does DuBois have, of the blacks’ importance in the world economy?
5. How did Alexander Crummell overcome the temptation of Despair?
6. How has the loss of the plantation life resulted in the isolation of black and white cultures?
7. What is the reason for this tragic anecdote, as the penultimate chapter, coming on the heels of the previous, more triumphant chapter, as it does?
8. What is DuBois’ relation to death, in Chapter 11?
9. How does DuBois say Christianity appealed to the blacks in slavery?
10. How does DuBois characterize the Music in the Southern Negro revival meeting?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)