|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does DuBois say the black church antedates?
(a) The black family.
(c) The home.
2. What does DuBois say is the tragedy of the age?
(a) That virtue is typically powerless.
(b) That violence is tolerated and approved.
(c) That men know so little of men.
(d) That wickedness is rewarded with profit.
3. What does DuBois say should be the purpose of all striving in the twentieth century?
(a) That the good, beautiful and true triumph.
(b) That the meek inherit the earth.
(c) That the fittest survive.
(d) That justice reign on earth.
4. Where does DuBois say Alexander Crummell came from?
(a) The indistinguishable ether.
(b) The gray To-come.
(c) The crimson Past.
(d) The pulsing Now.
5. When does DuBois say universal suffrage a popular topic in the South?
(a) The 1890s.
(b) The 1870s.
(c) The 1820s.
(d) The 1850s.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does DuBois characterize the process of land valuation in the Black Belt?
2. What was the Port Royal experiment?
3. How does DuBois characterize the revival preacher?
4. Where is DuBois originally from?
5. What role does DuBois say the church plays in black culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John Jones change on account of his semester away from school?
2. Why does DuBois think that his son might have been fortunate to die young?
3. How does DuBois describe the one-room cabin most blacks live in, in Dougherty county?
4. How are the physical dwellings of blacks and whites related, in DuBois' account?
5. What factors does DuBois say have led to crime among blacks?
6. How does DuBois characterize the Music in the Southern Negro revival meeting?
7. What is the reason for this tragic anecdote, as the penultimate chapter, coming on the heels of the previous, more triumphant chapter, as it does?
8. What did the Fisk Jubilee Singers accomplish?
9. What vision does DuBois have, of a future for American blacks?
10. What is the black farmer’s relationship with the white merchant, according to DuBois?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)