|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John humming while he waits for the police?
(a) The Star Spangled Banner.
(b) The Battle Hymn of the Republic.
2. Where did Alexander Crummell finally practice as a minister?
(a) New York.
3. What claim does DuBois make for Negro music?
(a) He calls it the most original expression of human life to come from America.
(b) He says that it is the seed of something unique, anticipating blues and jazz.
(c) He says that it is an eternal sound, older than anything in America.
(d) He says that he has never had a more profound experience than to hear it.
4. What does DuBois say is the tragedy of the age?
(a) That men know so little of men.
(b) That violence is tolerated and approved.
(c) That wickedness is rewarded with profit.
(d) That virtue is typically powerless.
5. Where do warriors spring from, in the myth of the Golden Fleece?
(a) Amputated fingers.
(b) Mutilated body parts.
(c) Dragon’s teeth.
(d) Warriors’ weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did DuBois’ son live before dying?
2. What news did DuBois get, at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What art form comes most directly from the Sorrow Song?
4. What groups almost never live close to each other?
5. How does DuBois characterize the revival preacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does DuBois describe the one-room cabin most blacks live in, in Dougherty county?
2. What is DuBois’ relation to death, in Chapter 11?
3. How does DuBois characterize the double system of justice in the South?
4. How does John Jones change on account of his semester away from school?
5. What is the role of music in the coming of John?
6. How does DuBois characterize the Preacher in the Southern Negro revival meeting?
7. What is DuBois’ final hope for his book?
8. What vision does DuBois have, of a future for American blacks?
9. How did Alexander Crummell overcome the temptation of Hate?
10. How does DuBois characterize the Frenzy the Southern Negro revival meeting?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)