|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long ago did this teaching take place, from the moment of DuBois’ writing?
(a) Four years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Twelve years.
2. What explanation does DuBois make for the laziness of the blacks he meets?
(b) Racial inferiority.
(c) Social injustice.
(d) Social influence.
3. What problem does DuBois say hindered the Negro Colleges after the War?
(a) Lack of teachers.
(b) Lack of funds.
(c) Lack of students.
(d) Lack of supplies.
4. Booker T. Washington’s ascendancy is the most remarkable event in American race relations since when, according to DuBois?
5. What does DuBois say people were beginning to feel when Booker T. Washington began to lead?
Short Answer Questions
1. What position were blacks in, under the Freedmen’s Bureau?
2. What does DuBois say is the end that meat nourishes?
3. What does DuBois say is the effect the Gospel of Pay has on the Gospel of Work?
4. What was Halleck’s position on runaway slaves?
5. What was Fremont’s solution to the escaped slaves showing up in his camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does DuBois say the North made to the blacks in the South after the war?
2. What ideal would W. E. B. DuBois have American blacks follow?
3. How does DuBois characterize the problem he is addressing, in the Forethought?
4. How does DuBois describe the atmosphere at Fisk University?
5. What problem did freed blacks pose for the Union army, and what solution was ultimately found?
6. What mistake does DuBois say the South has made in regard to educating the blacks?
7. What does DuBois say is the result of the Freedmen’s Bureau’s work?
8. Sam Hose appears a number of times in The Souls of Black Folk. What was his story—what does his name represent?
9. When did DuBois discover that he lived ‘within the Veil’?
10. What is double-consciousness?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)