|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were the slaves emancipated in the U.S.?
2. How does DuBois characterize the arrival of freedom for blacks in America?
(a) An anti-climactic realization.
(b) A fearful dream.
(c) A frightful vision.
(d) A terrible waking.
3. Who has come to embody the ideals of American blacks recently, according to DuBois?
(a) The old slave-owners.
(d) Wealthy people.
4. Who does DuBois say once embodied the ideals of American blacks?
(a) Preacher and teacher.
(b) Businessman and customer.
(c) Soldier and senator.
(d) Mother and child.
5. How does the myth of Atalanta and Hippomenes conclude?
(a) With profanation.
(b) With consecration.
(c) With desertion.
(d) With sanctification.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was at the heart of Booker T. Washington’s program for blacks?
2. How does DuBois characterize the Freedmen’s Bureau’s role in assisting the blacks in the South?
3. What does DuBois want to teach a thinking man to do?
4. What does DuBois say is the end that meat nourishes?
5. Which was NOT one of the parties DuBois broke Southern society into, after the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things is DuBois interested in when he describes the Black Belt?
2. How does DuBois characterize the intersection of blackness and Americanness?
3. What was the effect of Field Order 15?
4. What are the three thoughts DuBois describes at the beginning of Chapter 6—and the three afterthoughts that follow them?
5. What are the four periods of Southern education DuBois describes from the end of the War to the present?
6. When did DuBois discover that he lived ‘within the Veil’?
7. What ideal would W. E. B. DuBois have American blacks follow?
8. What preliminary solution does DuBois offer to the split in black consciousness?
9. What debt does DuBois say the blacks are owed?
10. Whose influence does DuBois say has been superseded by the new authority of money?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)