|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does DuBois say hindered the Negro Colleges after the War?
(a) Lack of funds.
(b) Lack of students.
(c) Lack of supplies.
(d) Lack of teachers.
2. Booker T. Washington’s ascendancy is the most remarkable event in American race relations since when, according to DuBois?
3. What is it that makes the shame in the poem that opens Chapter 6?
(a) The mind living in imagination.
(b) Death cutting life short.
(c) The body restraining the soul.
(d) The heart bursting from vexation.
4. What is the water crying for, in the poem that opens Chapter 1?
5. What does DuBois say is the end that meat nourishes?
(a) Political power.
(c) Religious feeling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of the Revolution of 1876?
2. What does DuBois say is the problem of the twentieth century?
3. In what realm does DuBois want to work alongside whites?
4. What is the afterthought to this second thought, in DuBois' account?
5. To whom does the burden of the Negro Problem belong, in DuBois' account?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does DuBois characterize Josie?
2. Sam Hose appears a number of times in The Souls of Black Folk. What was his story—what does his name represent?
3. How does DuBois characterize the intersection of blackness and Americanness?
4. Whose influence does DuBois say has been superseded by the new authority of money?
5. Name some of the relief organizations who sent people and aid to the blacks in the South in cooperation with the Freedmen’s Bureau.
6. What are the three thoughts DuBois describes at the beginning of Chapter 6—and the three afterthoughts that follow them?
7. What debt does DuBois say the blacks are owed?
8. What vision does DuBois have of his equality with artists and thinkers?
9. What flaws does DuBois see in Booker T. Washington’s program?
10. How do absentee landlords affect life in the Black Belt?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)