|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the afterthought to this thought, in DuBois' account?
(a) Despair and powerlessness.
(b) Doubt about men’s worth.
(c) Force and dominion.
(d) Resistance and laziness.
2. How does DuBois characterize life as a black man in America?
(a) He says that life does not know him.
(b) He says that he is invisible.
(c) He says that he lives within the Veil.
(d) He says that he is superfluous.
3. How many bales of cotton went to London from the Black Belt by 1860?
4. What was DuBois’ solution to feeling isolated by his race?
(a) To isolate himself socially.
(b) To suck up to people.
(c) To beat his classmates.
(d) To make new friends.
5. Where did DuBois says that he learned that he was black?
(a) In the womb.
(b) In school.
(c) In the crib.
(d) In his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does DuBois propose as the solution to race prejudice?
2. How does the myth of Atalanta and Hippomenes conclude?
3. Who was the founder of the Freedmen’s Bureau?
4. What role does DuBois say black music plays in American culture?
5. Who told DuBois of the school where he ended up teaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Booker T. Washington’s program for blacks, and why did it prevail among its competing visions.
2. How do absentee landlords affect life in the Black Belt?
3. How does DuBois characterize Josie?
4. How does DuBois characterize the problem he is addressing, in the Forethought?
5. When did DuBois discover that he lived ‘within the Veil’?
6. Where does DuBois see the first evidence of blacks’ cultural contribution?
7. What problem did freed blacks pose for the Union army, and what solution was ultimately found?
8. What was the Atlanta Compromise?
9. What are the four periods of Southern education DuBois describes from the end of the War to the present?
10. What is double-consciousness?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)