|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of cabin does DuBois say is the exception the rule?
(a) The filthy.
(b) The ramshackle.
(c) The scrupulously neat.
(d) The habitable.
2. What groups almost never live close to each other?
(a) The best of blacks and whites.
(b) The poor black and white farmers.
(c) The black and white tradesmen.
(d) The worst of blacks and whites.
3. How does DuBois characterize the process of land valuation in the Black Belt?
4. What news did DuBois get, at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) That his wife had died.
(b) That his son had died.
(c) That his son had been born.
(d) That his son was sick.
5. Where was John Jones from?
6. What is the ratio of blacks to whites in the Black Belt?
7. How does DuBois characterize John Jones?
8. What is the outcome of John’s school in his hometown?
(a) It merges with Georgia University.
(b) It becomes a regional model.
(c) It is set on fire.
(d) The Judge closes it.
9. What does DuBois say might change how the Veil sits on the American blacks?
(a) It might be torn away.
(b) Someone might one day lift it.
(c) Someone could turn it into a funeral shroud for racism.
(d) It might dissolve.
10. What claim does DuBois make for Negro music?
(a) He says that it is an eternal sound, older than anything in America.
(b) He says that it is the seed of something unique, anticipating blues and jazz.
(c) He calls it the most original expression of human life to come from America.
(d) He says that he has never had a more profound experience than to hear it.
11. What art form comes most directly from the Sorrow Song?
12. How does DuBois compare the plantation houses in Dougherty County with plantation houses in Virginia, in the time of slavery?
(a) More elaborate.
(b) Less imposing.
(c) More aristocratic.
(d) More practical.
13. What does DuBois say is the relationship between the black church and the world at large?
(a) The church is an alternative.
(b) The church is a model.
(c) The church is a microcosm.
(d) the church is a refuge.
14. Which church refused to admit Alexander Crummell?
15. What does DuBois say his wife had had to do, to produce their son?
(a) Liberate herself.
(b) Be reborn.
(c) Allow herself to be enslaved.
(d) Sleep with death.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Texas affected farming in the Black Belt?
2. How is Chapter 11, On the Passing of the Firstborn, different from the other chapters?
3. Where does the image of the Golden Fleece come from?
4. Why did John kill the white John, son of the Judge?
5. What consolation does DuBois imagine, for the likelihood that his son would have lived in a racist society, if he lived?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)