|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hippomenes do to win the race and marry Atalanta?
(a) Distract her with golden apples.
(b) Set a trap and capture her.
(c) Divert the racecourse.
(d) Tie her down with golden thread.
2. Who did DuBois enjoy staying with the best?
(b) The Lawrences.
(c) The Dowell's.
(d) The Eddingses.
3. What problem are the black farmers up against, that was not a problem during slavery?
(b) Rising prices for cotton.
(c) Soil exhaustion.
(d) Lack of police.
4. When did ‘the fire of African freedom’ cease to burn in American’ slaves’ veins, according to DuBois?
5. When were the slaves emancipated in the U.S.?
6. What problem does DuBois say hindered the Negro Colleges after the War?
(a) Lack of teachers.
(b) Lack of students.
(c) Lack of supplies.
(d) Lack of funds.
7. What does DuBois say people were beginning to feel when Booker T. Washington began to lead?
8. What kind of pall hangs over the land of West Dougherty County?
(c) Absentee landlords.
9. How many students did DuBois have in his first classroom?
10. What does the person who wants to be free have to do, according to the poem that opens chapter 3?
(a) Receive a blow.
(b) Strike a blow.
(c) Withdraw his fist.
(d) Stop the fight.
11. How frequently did DuBois have to convince the parents about the value of book-learning?
12. Who was the founder of the Freedmen’s Bureau?
13. What is the afterthought to this third thought, in DuBois' account?
(a) Doubts about whites’ power.
(b) Dread of confrontation.
(c) Doubt about blacks’ worth.
(d) Despair over human nature.
14. Where has Booker T. Washington been most criticized, in DuBois' account?
(a) From southerners.
(b) From northerners.
(c) From blacks.
(d) From abroad.
15. What was Ben Butler’s solution to the escaped slaves showing up in his camp?
(a) Put them to work.
(b) Imprison them.
(c) Educate them.
(d) Send them back to their plantations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does DuBois make for the laziness of the blacks he meets?
2. In what realm does DuBois want to work alongside whites?
3. What most of the hundred hills of Atlanta crowned with, according to DuBois?
4. What does DuBois propose as the solution to race prejudice?
5. What question does DuBois say people do not talk about?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)