|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the letter of October 20, what does Werther assert gives us "a genuine sense of ourselves?"
(a) To keep pace with or surpass others.
(b) To blend into the crowd.
(c) To be absolutely unique and different.
(d) To fall behind one's peers.
2. As of November 30, Werther feels he is not destined to:
(a) Make any friends.
(b) Ever recover his wits.
(c) Live a happy life.
(d) Find true love.
3. What vision is Werther constantly haunted by, as related in the letter of December 6?
(a) Fire and brimstone.
(b) Lotte's figure.
(c) A dead man.
(d) A weapon in his own hand.
4. To whom does Werther write his letter of January 20, 1772?
(c) Count C.
5. What is Lotte's response to Werther's outburst, as related in the letter of December 4?
(a) Lotte tells Werther he is ill and must calm himself.
(b) Lotte shouts back at Werther in frustration.
(c) Lotte asks Werther to be quiet lest he wake the children.
(d) Lotte makes no verbal response, but gives Werther a significant look.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Werther continually assert in the letter of March 15 about his social faux pas?
2. What irritates Werther about Lotte and the friend who visits her in the letter of October 26?
3. What instrument does Lotte play, as related in the letter of December 4?
4. What "excess" does Lotte reproach Werther for in the letter of November 8?
5. From whom does Werther receive an invitation to travel, as related in the letter of May 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Werther's general views on religion, as expressed in several letters?
2. How does Werther react to inadvertently catching a glimpse of Lotte's wedding ring, as related in the letter of December 4?
3. What bothers Werther about many of the people he meets?
4. Summarize the ongoing story of the farmer-boy whom Werther had met earlier in the novel.
5. Who does Werther meet while walking along the water's edge in Wahlheim, what is the person doing, and what does this person look like, as related in the letter of November 30?
6. What has caused the man Werther meets in the letter of November 30 to act the way he does?
7. What is the substance of Werther's letter of January 20 to Lotte?
8. How does Werther react to reading Ossian, as related in the letter of October 12?
9. How does Werther's opinion of Albert change from its prior state, according to the Editor?
10. What does Werther see as the keys to happiness, and how do these key things affect him specifically, as related in the letter of October 20?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)