|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the person Werther met in the Letter of November 30 to act the way he does?
(a) He felt an unrequited love for Lotte.
(b) He succumbed to the stresses of his job.
(c) He was a drunk whose addiction took over his life.
(d) He grew overly envious of another man's position.
2. How does Werther view his interactions with high society in Weimar?
(a) As interesting and educational.
(b) As soul-fulfilling.
(c) As valuable to his career.
(d) As empty illusion.
3. What "excess" does Lotte reproach Werther for in the letter of November 8?
(a) Feeling too acutely.
(b) Singing too loudly.
(c) Drinking too much.
(d) Arguing too vehemently.
4. Whom does Werther blame for his sorrows in the letter of November 3?
5. From whom does Werther receive a letter, related in the letter of February 17, concerning his relationship with the Ambassador?
(a) From another ambassador.
(b) From a government minister.
(c) From Count C.
(d) From Wilhelm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject is Werther's employer continuously harping on?
2. From whom does Werther receive an invitation to travel, as related in the letter of May 9?
3. In the letter of December 1, who relates to Werther the story of the person Werther met in the letter of November 30?
4. What gifts does Werther wish from God, as expressed in the letter of October 20?
5. Who gives Werther a special gift, related in the letter of April 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Werther's personality and his thoughts change upon returning to Wahlheim?
2. Summarize the final interaction between Werther and Lotte.
3. How does Werther react to reading Ossian, as related in the letter of October 12?
4. What does the Editor express about the state of Lotte's heart and mind during the time when Werther's feelings are completely overpowering him?
5. How does Werther describe the Ambassador?
6. How does Werther's relationship with God seem to change from its prior state toward the end of the letter of November 30, and how does Werther express his feelings about this change?
7. Describe the interaction between Lotte, Werther, and Lotte's new pet, as related in the letter of September 12.
8. What does Werther see as the keys to happiness, and how do these key things affect him specifically, as related in the letter of October 20?
9. How does Werther's opinion of Albert change from its prior state, according to the Editor?
10. Summarize the ongoing story of the farmer-boy whom Werther had met earlier in the novel.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)