|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Werther a special gift, related in the letter of April 19?
(a) Miss von B.
(b) The crown Prince.
(c) The Ambassador.
(d) Count C.
2. What aspect of humanity does Werther assert, in the letter of October 26, makes him want to "tear his heart open"?
(a) The notion that people mean quite little to one another.
(b) The notion that everyone supposedly has only one soul-mate.
(c) The fact that death is inevitable.
(d) The idea that love can wither and die.
3. What irks Werther about the society he finds himself with in Weimar?
(a) Their uncaring attitudes.
(b) Their immense beauty.
(c) Their greed for rank.
(d) Their questions of him.
4. What, according to Werther, is most dangerous to the individual?
5. What is the gift Werther receives in the letter of April 19?
(a) Two strong stallions.
(b) A gold ring.
(c) A glowing recommendation.
(d) Twenty-five ducats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lotte' siblings do on December 21 that causes Werther to be overcome with emotion?
2. What "excess" does Lotte reproach Werther for in the letter of November 8?
3. To whom does Werther write his letter of January 20, 1772?
4. How does Werther respond to his own reading on December 21?
5. What final request does Werther make of Albert when Albert returns from his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature and circumstances of Werther's death and of his burial.
2. What does the Editor express about the state of Lotte's heart and mind during the time when Werther's feelings are completely overpowering him?
3. How does Werther react to inadvertently catching a glimpse of Lotte's wedding ring, as related in the letter of December 4?
4. How do Werther's personality and his thoughts change upon returning to Wahlheim?
5. What correspondence does Werther receive from a government minister, as related in the letter of February 17, and how does Werther react to the correspondence?
6. How does Miss von B. respond to Werther's humiliation, as related in the letter of March 16?
7. Summarize the event, related in the letter of March 15, which causes Werther considerable humiliation.
8. What reaction does Werther have to the news about the walnut trees in the courtyard of the vicarage?
9. What are Werther's general views on religion, as expressed in several letters?
10. How does Werther perceive Count C.?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)