|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which country does this novel take place?
2. In his letter of May 17, what does Werther find the state of humanity to be?
(a) Awesome and inspiring.
(b) Happy and joyous.
(c) Horribly sinful.
(d) Generally monotonous.
3. What is Werther convinced about, regarding the young woman with whom he has fallen in love?
(a) That she is oblivious to him.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) That she pities him.
(d) That she hates him.
4. What is the main character's name?
5. To what does Werther compare his "poor heart?"
(a) To a blushing maiden.
(b) To a questing knight.
(c) To a robust soldier.
(d) To an ailing child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lotte and Albert become betrothed?
2. What is in the package Werther receives from Albert on August 26?
3. What subject do Albert and Werther discuss so heatedly in the letter of August 12?
4. What is the substance of the main character's business project at the beginning of the book?
5. What does the main character find enjoyable about the area he has arrived at in the first letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Werther ask his friend Wilhelm not to do, and why?
2. How does Werther meet Lotte?
3. How has Werther's life or attitudes changed after falling in love with Lotte?
4. What natural feature of the environment of his town does Werther feel particularly drawn to, and to what does he compare the feeling?
5. How has his acquaintance with Lotte affected Werther up to and including the letter of July 24?
6. How is Werther first received by the commoners of the village, and how does Werther view their reaction to him?
7. Who is Albert, and what is Werther's reaction to learning about him?
8. What "worthy man" has Werther gotten to know, and where does he live?
9. What event has incited Werther to leave his friends, and how does he view this event?
10. What is the substance of the conversation between Werther and his companions at the vicar's home?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)