|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proposal does Wilhelm make that Werther disagrees with in the letter of December 20?
(a) That Werther should return to stay with Wilhelm.
(b) That Werther should be kind to Albert.
(c) That Werther should run away with Lotte.
(d) That Werther should find another girl to love.
2. What special clothes is Werther buried in?
(a) A set of leather boots and kid gloves.
(b) The simple garb of a peasant.
(c) A blue coat and buff waistcoat.
(d) A black overcoat and top-hat.
3. What dream does Werther relate to Wilhelm in the letter of December 16?
(a) A dream in which Werther dueled Albert and killed him.
(b) A dream in which Werther kissed Lotte and she said she loved him.
(c) A dream in which Werther kills himself and haunts Albert and Lotte.
(d) A dream in which Lotte resolves to divorce Albert and run away with Werther.
4. What, according to Werther, is most dangerous to the individual?
5. In his letter of December 21, what does Werther tell Lotte he is "resolved" to do?
(a) To leave Wahlheim.
(b) To love.
(c) To grieve.
(d) To die.
6. Where does the event of March 15 occur?
(a) In the town square.
(b) At the home of Count C.
(c) In the Ambassador's garden.
(d) In City Hall.
7. What sight causes Werther to weep profusely, as related in the letter of December 4?
(a) The sight of Albert with a small child.
(b) The sight of a dead horse along the side of the road.
(c) The sight of a beggar-woman.
(d) The sight of Lotte's wedding ring.
8. What does Werther vow he will never do, though he very much wants to?
(a) Duel with Albert.
(b) Confess to a minister.
(c) Kiss Lotte.
(d) Get married.
9. According to Werther in the letter of November 15, what is the fate of Man?
(a) To be happy and joyful.
(b) To work the land.
(c) To serve one another.
(d) To suffer in bitterness.
10. What does Werther wonder about happiness in the letter of November 30?
(a) If it is truly everyone's destiny to find happiness.
(b) Whether it can be worked for, or must be wished for.
(c) How people define the happiness of their friends and family.
(d) If it can only be obtained when one has no reasoning capabilities.
11. What final request does Werther make of Albert when Albert returns from his journey?
(a) For Albert to give up Lotte.
(b) To always love and cherish Lotte.
(c) For Albert to accompany him into town.
(d) To borrow his pistols.
12. Where was the person Werther meets in the letter of November 30 before they met Werther?
(a) In prison.
(b) In a madhouse.
(c) Living in town.
(d) Traveling abroad.
13. In the letter of October 20, what does Werther assert gives us "a genuine sense of ourselves?"
(a) To keep pace with or surpass others.
(b) To blend into the crowd.
(c) To be absolutely unique and different.
(d) To fall behind one's peers.
14. What do Lotte' siblings do on December 21 that causes Werther to be overcome with emotion?
(a) They encourage him to never give up hope.
(b) They invite him to the Christmas dinner being hosted by Lotte's father.
(c) They ask him how old he will be at his next birthday.
(d) They make him a list of New Year wishes.
15. What is the surprise Werther receives from Lotte and Albert in the letter of February 20?
(a) A gift for his birthday.
(b) The news of their marriage.
(c) The news of one of Lotte's siblings' deaths.
(d) An invitation to join them as they travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this person Werther meets on his walk doing when Werther meets them?
2. What clothing was Werther wearing when he met Lotte?
3. What is the name of the girl Werther finds himself interested in, as related in the letter of December 24?
4. To what does Werther compare himself at the end of the letter of November 30?
5. Who tells Werther in the letter of March 16 that his recent disgrace has negatively affected them as well?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)