|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the person Werther met in the Letter of November 30 to act the way he does?
(a) He grew overly envious of another man's position.
(b) He felt an unrequited love for Lotte.
(c) He was a drunk whose addiction took over his life.
(d) He succumbed to the stresses of his job.
2. What action does Werther take upon confirming the alarming news he heard at Lotte's home?
(a) Werther vows to aid in Albert's recovery.
(b) Werther helps nurse Lotte back to health.
(c) Werther defends the murderer.
(d) Werther leaves Wahlheim in grief.
3. What is the name of the girl Werther finds himself interested in, as related in the letter of December 24?
(a) Miss van H.
(b) Miss von B.
(c) Miss L. R.
(d) Miss Schleck.
4. What does Lotte ask Werther to read when he visits her on December 21?
5. Whom does Werther blame for his irritation with his current employment?
(a) Count C.
(d) His employer.
6. What recent event, related in the letter of September 15, makes Werther both angry and sad?
(a) The felling of old walnut trees.
(b) The plowing of a field of wildflowers.
(c) A fire in the town church.
(d) The destruction of a scenic old barn.
7. What best describes the personality of Werther's employer?
8. What does Werther assert, regarding the upper-class society he finds himself in in Weimar?
(a) That they are correct to be preoccupied with rank.
(b) That society's structure rests upon distinctions of class.
(c) That the position one occupies is actually immaterial.
(d) That an individual's desires outweigh the feelings of the masses.
9. What experience, in Werther's opinion, does everybody in Weimar ruin for one another?
(a) The prospect of a fulfilling life.
(b) The experience of love.
(c) The journey between life and death
(d) The enjoyment of a beautiful day.
10. How does Werther feel, now that he has moved away from Wahlheim?
(a) Utter contentment pervades his being.
(b) Suspicion rules his mind.
(c) He feels sad and lost.
(d) His mood is improving.
11. What does Werther continually assert in the letter of March 15 about his social faux pas?
(a) That he was in the right, and others were wrong.
(b) That the thought of it never entered his mind.
(c) That he intended to push the boundaries all along.
(d) That he got pleasure out of others' discomfort.
12. What relative of the girl Werther finds attractive does Werther meet?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her mother.
13. According to Werther in the letter of October 19, what will fill the void in his heart?
(a) Writing sentimental poetry.
(b) Finding a wife of his own.
(c) Holding Lotte to his heart.
(d) Traveling abroad.
14. What final request does Werther make of Albert when Albert returns from his journey?
(a) For Albert to give up Lotte.
(b) For Albert to accompany him into town.
(c) To always love and cherish Lotte.
(d) To borrow his pistols.
15. Which town does Werther visit, as related in the letter of May 5?
(a) A town in which he has a job opportunity.
(b) The town in which his brother lives.
(c) The place of his birth
(d) The place in which his aunt lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sad news does Werther receive from the little peasant family of Wahlheim, related in the letter of August 4?
2. What excuse does Werther give for wanting to embrace Lotte?
3. What specific thing does Albert request of Lotte, as related by the Editor?
4. What about his social faux pas of March 15 distresses Werther greatly?
5. What event causes Werther to "run out into the night," as related in the letter of December 12?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)