|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his letter of May 22, what does Werther assert makes people truly happy?
(a) Working hard for wealth.
(b) Loving fiercely and often.
(c) Living in the present moment.
(d) Wandering through nature.
2. What do Werther and his new female friend discuss in the carriage?
3. How does Werther view those who keep their distance from commoners?
(a) As cowards.
(b) As snobbish.
(c) As sensible.
(d) As wise.
4. In the letter of July 26, what does Werther often determine to do, but fails?
(a) He resolves to complete his mother's inheritance dispute.
(b) He resolves to go to church more often.
(c) He resolves not to see Lotte so often.
(d) He resolves to treat Albert with more respect.
5. Who is the "Melusine" to whom Werther refers?
(a) A historical French princess.
(b) One of the mythical Furies.
(c) A mythical water-nymph.
(d) The daughter of the town mayor.
6. How does the main character describe the person with whom he must conduct his business?
(a) As wicked and false.
(b) As vigorous and kind-hearted.
(c) As enthusiastic and humorous.
(d) As suspicious and conniving.
7. To what does Werther compare himself in regards to the young woman with whom he has fallen in love?
(a) A madman.
(b) A miser.
(c) A child.
(d) A king.
8. What does Werther say "wastes his heart away" in the letter of August 18?
(a) The "black despair" inherent in the night sky.
(b) The "sublime sensitivity" of his favorite author.
(c) The "corrosive power" of the natural world.
(d) The "depressive lethargy" of his own soul.
9. At which event did Werther meet a new female acquaintance?
(a) At a fair.
(b) At a ball.
(c) At the theater.
(d) At a parliamentary debate.
10. What does Werther consider to be the closest thing to his own heart?
11. Whom does Werther mourn in his letter of May 17?
(a) His brother, with whom Werther shared a close friendship.
(b) A great German poet and artist upon whom Werther models himself.
(c) A close female friend with whom he shared much of his soul.
(d) His father, whom Werther considered a role model.
12. What is the name of the person to whom Werther writes his letters?
13. What activity does Werther fill his time with, at the beginning of the novel?
14. What activity do Werther and his new female friend engage in together?
(a) A competition of riddles.
(b) A walk about the park.
(c) A recitation of poetry.
(d) A German folk dance.
15. In which month of the year does the novel begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Werther assist in his or her daily chore?
2. What is the name of Werther's new female acquaintance?
3. What does the main character find pleasant about the place in which he currently resides?
4. What is the name of the youngest person Werther meets in the town square?
5. How many children does the estate manager have, whom Werther meets?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)