|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity is the young woman who becomes Werther's friend engaged in when Werther meets her?
(a) Dressing for an evening on the town.
(b) Cutting bread for children.
(c) Running away from home.
(d) Cleaning her father's house.
2. In his letter of May 22, what does Werther assert makes people truly happy?
(a) Living in the present moment.
(b) Loving fiercely and often.
(c) Working hard for wealth.
(d) Wandering through nature.
3. What does Werther like to watch the village girls do?
(a) Dance during the festival season.
(b) Pick wildflowers.
(c) Fetch water.
(d) Bathe in the stream.
4. How does the main character describe the town in which he resides as of the first letter?
(a) As "disagreeable."
(b) As "picturesque."
(c) As "cozy."
(d) As "backward."
5. With whom does Werther converse near the plow in the town square?
(a) A young boy.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) An elderly gentleman.
(d) A farmer-boy.
6. What does the main character find pleasant about the place in which he currently resides?
(a) The solitude.
(b) The crisp air.
(c) The bustling city.
(d) The museums.
7. How does the main character classify the recent events that sent him away?
(a) As a "misfortune doled out by Fate."
(b) As a "series of tragic misunderstandings."
(c) As a "bewildering journey of discovery."
(d) As a "senseless and foolish adventure."
8. What feature of the geographic location in which Werther lives holds Werther in "thrall?"
(a) A mountain.
(b) The ocean.
(c) A spring.
(d) The cathedral.
9. What is Werther aware of, regarding himself and the townsfolk?
(a) That they can never be honest with one another.
(b) That they must always be suspicious of one another.
(c) That they are not, and can never be, equals.
(d) That they come from the same common stock.
10. What occurrence disrupts the event Werther and his new female friend are attending?
(a) A flood.
(b) A thunderstorm.
(c) A heat wave.
(d) An earthquake.
11. In which month of the year does the novel begin?
12. At which event did Werther meet a new female acquaintance?
(a) At the theater.
(b) At a ball.
(c) At a parliamentary debate.
(d) At a fair.
13. What does Werther feel now that he is in this new location at the beginning of the book?
14. What do Werther and his new female friend discuss in the carriage?
15. What notable event occurs in the novel on August 28?
(a) The anniversary of Werther's father's death.
(b) Werther's birthday.
(c) A local festival celebration.
(d) Lotte and Albert's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the letter of July 26, what does Werther often determine to do, but fails?
2. What is the name of the youngest person Werther meets in the town square?
3. How does Werther see the story of the person near the plow in the town square?
4. What is the name of the person to whom Werther writes his letters?
5. How many children does the estate manager have, whom Werther meets?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)