|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Werther assist in his or her daily chore?
(a) A footman repairing a broken carriage.
(b) A farmer-boy repairing a plow.
(c) A cook buying food for supper.
(d) A servant girl drawing water from the spring.
2. Why does Albert keep his pistols always unloaded?
(a) He does not actually know how to load and clean the pistols.
(b) He does not believe that firearms are good.
(c) He once had a bad experience when a maid was injured.
(d) His mother implored him to keep them always unloaded.
3. What two things does Werther compare in his argument in the letter of August 12?
(a) Innocent children and beatific elders.
(b) Overactive imaginations and heightened sensibilities.
(c) Physical illness and suicidal depression.
(d) Hysterical women and the terminally ill.
4. What is the name of one of the people Werther meets in the town square?
5. How does the main character view his business affairs turning out?
(a) He opines that the situation will turn out well.
(b) He believes he is being cheated.
(c) He is utterly convinced that he will not understand the business.
(d) He feels that there is much profit to be made, but with too much risk.
6. What is the name of the woman Werther meets at the vicar's home?
7. What skill of Werther's is suffering as a result of his negligence?
(a) His art and drawings.
(b) His imagination and sensibility.
(c) His health and wellness.
(d) His social graces.
8. What subject do Werther and Lotte discuss at length in the letter of September 10?
(a) Lotte's plans for her upcoming wedding.
(b) Death and the hereafter.
(c) Political intrigue and scandal.
(d) The education of her siblings.
9. Whom does Werther find in the square of the town Werther has come to love?
(a) Two gentlemen quarreling.
(b) Several pretty girls.
(c) Two young boys.
(d) An elderly couple.
10. What does the main character find pleasant about the place in which he currently resides?
(a) The solitude.
(b) The crisp air.
(c) The museums.
(d) The bustling city.
11. With whom must the main character transact the business to which he refers in the first letter?
(a) With his neighbor.
(b) With his aunt.
(c) With his landlord.
(d) With his fiance.
12. What is the name of the first woman mentioned by the main character?
13. What kind of tree borders the town square where Werther spends much of his time?
(a) Linden trees.
(b) Birch trees.
(c) Fir trees.
(d) Maple trees.
14. How does the main character describe the town in which he resides as of the first letter?
(a) As "backward."
(b) As "cozy."
(c) As "picturesque."
(d) As "disagreeable."
15. What feature of the geographic location in which Werther lives holds Werther in "thrall?"
(a) The ocean.
(b) The cathedral.
(c) A spring.
(d) A mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which country does this novel take place?
2. What does the main character vow to do now that he is away?
3. How did Lotte and Albert become betrothed?
4. What activity do Werther and his new female friend engage in together?
5. To what does Werther compare his general opinion on painting in the letter of May 30?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)