|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom must the main character transact the business to which he refers in the first letter?
(a) With his landlord.
(b) With his fiance.
(c) With his neighbor.
(d) With his aunt.
2. In which month of the year does the novel begin?
3. What is the main character's name?
4. What is in the package Werther receives from Albert on August 26?
(a) A floral bouquet of mourning.
(b) Lotte's hair ribbons and an edition of Homer.
(c) A gift from all of Lotte's siblings.
(d) Albert's pistols, loaded and ready.
5. What occurrence disrupts the event Werther and his new female friend are attending?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A heat wave.
(c) A flood.
(d) A thunderstorm.
6. Which poet does Werther's new female friend mention in relation to the event which disrupts the large gathering they attend?
7. To what does Werther compare his "poor heart?"
(a) To a robust soldier.
(b) To a questing knight.
(c) To an ailing child.
(d) To a blushing maiden.
8. In the letter of July 26, what does Werther often determine to do, but fails?
(a) He resolves to go to church more often.
(b) He resolves to treat Albert with more respect.
(c) He resolves to complete his mother's inheritance dispute.
(d) He resolves not to see Lotte so often.
9. What is the name of the man Werther meets at the vicar's home?
(a) Mr. Vollner.
(b) Mr. Metzger.
(c) Mr. Schiller.
(d) Mr. Schmidt.
10. With whom does Werther converse near the plow in the town square?
(a) A young boy.
(b) The town mayor.
(c) An elderly gentleman.
(d) A farmer-boy.
11. In which location does Werther arrange to meet Lotte and Albert?
(a) In the lodge's dining hall.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In a hayfield.
(d) In the town square.
12. According to Werther, what is the one thing that makes Man's life worthwhile?
13. In the letter of July 6, to what does Werther compare a child washing her hands?
14. What subject do Albert and Werther discuss so heatedly in the letter of August 12?
15. What is the name of the town an hours' walk from where Werther currently lodges?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the main character vow to do now that he is away?
2. Whom does Werther find in the square of the town Werther has come to love?
3. What example does Werther use to support his argument of the subject in the letter of August 12?
4. What is Werther convinced about, regarding the young woman with whom he has fallen in love?
5. What is the substance of the main character's business project at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)