|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through May 17 through 30.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tone does Werther desire his literature to have?
(a) That of soothing lullabies.
(b) That of rousing action.
(c) That of determined resolve.
(d) That of passionate desire.
2. What author does Werther enjoy reading?
(d) St. Augustine.
3. How does the main character classify the recent events that sent him away?
(a) As a "series of tragic misunderstandings."
(b) As a "senseless and foolish adventure."
(c) As a "bewildering journey of discovery."
(d) As a "misfortune doled out by Fate."
4. What is the substance of the main character's business project at the beginning of the book?
(a) An inheritance dispute.
(b) The interviewing of potential servants.
(c) A building contract.
(d) Arrangements for travel.
5. What presence does Werther sense all around him?
(a) The shadow of the past.
(b) The hopes of the future.
(c) The presence of God.
(d) The foreboding of doom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Werther perceive his relationship to other people?
2. With whom must the main character transact the business to which he refers in the first letter?
3. According to Werther in his letter of May 26, how is great art made?
4. How does the main character describe the person with whom he must conduct his business?
5. What is the name of the town an hours' walk from where Werther currently lodges?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)