|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through May 17 through 30.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the main character vow to do now that he is away?
(a) To find a willing wife.
(b) To seek knowledge and wisdom.
(c) To enjoy the present moment.
(d) To take the popular Grand Tour.
2. What does Werther think of when he watches the village girls?
(a) The "civilized pastimes of society."
(b) The "divine inspiration of the landscape."
(c) The "patriarchal ways of life."
(d) The "bucolic pleasures of the country."
3. What kind of tree borders the town square where Werther spends much of his time?
(a) Linden trees.
(b) Maple trees.
(c) Birch trees.
(d) Fir trees.
4. How does Werther perceive his relationship to other people?
(a) He feels that he is exactly the same as everyone else.
(b) He senses that others are repelled by him.
(c) He feels isolated and alone.
(d) He finds that others like him.
5. What has become the main character's favorite spot to get away?
(a) The winding paths of the forests.
(b) The town tavern.
(c) The old Count's summerhouse.
(d) The library in the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the main character classify the recent events that sent him away?
2. What does Werther feel now that he is in this new location at the beginning of the book?
3. In which month of the year does the novel begin?
4. What presence does Werther sense all around him?
5. Whom does Werther assist in his or her daily chore?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)