|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through May 17 through 30.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the main character find enjoyable about the area he has arrived at in the first letter?
(a) The few large estates surrounding the town.
(b) The inexpressible natural beauty.
(c) The proximity to the wide-open sea.
(d) The proliferation of tame wildlife.
2. How many children does the estate manager have, whom Werther meets?
3. How does the main character describe the person with whom he must conduct his business?
(a) As wicked and false.
(b) As enthusiastic and humorous.
(c) As suspicious and conniving.
(d) As vigorous and kind-hearted.
4. To what does Werther compare his general opinion on painting in the letter of May 30?
(a) To mathematics.
(b) To sketching.
(c) To poetry.
(d) To drama.
5. What is the substance of the main character's business project at the beginning of the book?
(a) A building contract.
(b) Arrangements for travel.
(c) An inheritance dispute.
(d) The interviewing of potential servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tone does Werther desire his literature to have?
2. With whom must the main character transact the business to which he refers in the first letter?
3. What is the name of the youngest person Werther meets in the town square?
4. Why, according to Werther, does the "torrent of genius" so rarely pour forth?
5. What, according to the main character, leads to the most complications in business affairs?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)