|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through September 4 through November 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Werther, does the "torrent of genius" so rarely pour forth?
(a) Because genius requires obsession with one's subject, and only very few people are truly obsessed.
(b) Because genius requires the close interaction of many people, and quarreling prevents this.
(c) Because God only imparts genius to a select few individuals.
(d) Because the average individual is of too limited intelligence to qualify as a genius.
2. What type of animal does Lotte keep as a pet?
(a) A hound-dog.
(b) A spoiled cat.
(c) A mare.
(d) A canary.
3. What has happened to the farmer-boy Werther once met in Wahlheim's town square?
(a) He has married his lover.
(b) He has sustained an injury.
(c) He has become violent.
(d) He has been fired.
4. According to Werther in the letter of October 19, what will fill the void in his heart?
(a) Holding Lotte to his heart.
(b) Traveling abroad.
(c) Finding a wife of his own.
(d) Writing sentimental poetry.
5. What kind of tree borders the town square where Werther spends much of his time?
(a) Linden trees.
(b) Maple trees.
(c) Birch trees.
(d) Fir trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Werther blame for his sorrows in the letter of November 3?
2. In the letter of July 26, what does Werther often determine to do, but fails?
3. According to Werther, what is the one thing that makes Man's life worthwhile?
4. What does Werther resolve to do in the letter of September 3?
5. What is the name of the town an hours' walk from where Werther currently lodges?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)