May 4, 1771
1. In which country does this novel take place?
2. What is the main character's name?
3. In which month of the year does the novel begin?
4. Why is the main character happy at the beginning of the first letter?
(a) He has just completed his studies at the university.
(b) He has left his familiar surroundings and people.
(c) He has proposed to a beautiful young woman, and she said yes.
(d) He has received a job offer that will elevate his social position.
5. What is the name of the first woman mentioned by the main character?
6. How does the main character classify the recent events that sent him away?
(a) As a "senseless and foolish adventure."
(b) As a "bewildering journey of discovery."
(c) As a "misfortune doled out by Fate."
(d) As a "series of tragic misunderstandings."
This section contains 5,463 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)