|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kien almost attack the taunting soldiers in the abandoned hospital?
2. What does Kien realise is different about Phuong?
3. Who else frequents the Balcony Cafe?
4. What is the difference between the writing Kien performs during the day and that which he writes at night?
5. What 'peaceful' memory of the war does Kien think about in this Part?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kien hallucinate about his nurse in Hanoi?
2. What is symbolic about the farm that Kien and his comrades visit?
3. Describe Kien's parents
4. What do the characters of Tu and Cam have in common?
5. What was Phuong forced to become?
6. Why is Kien ridiculed by his fellows in the post war period?
7. Why does Kien not kill the commandos responsible for the farmhouse massacre?
8. What happens to Phuong on that train?
9. Why was it lucky that Phuong and Kien missed the train just as war started?
10. At what bar does Kien meet the young prostitute and other ex-soldiers from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Phuong change throughout the book? Explain in detail
Essay Topic 2
One theme of the novel is survivor guilt. Discuss how this theme is presented in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Kien in the story. What are his strengths and weaknesses?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)