|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kien and his platoon realize when they visit the South Vietnamese farm?
2. At what times of the day does Kien write?
3. What happens to the train that Phuong and Kien eventually get on?
4. What does Phuong taunt Kien about becoming?
5. Where does Kien find Phuong after the attack on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what bar does Kien meet the young prostitute and other ex-soldiers from the war?
2. Why is Kien ridiculed by his fellows in the post war period?
3. Why does Kien not kill the commandos responsible for the farmhouse massacre?
4. Why is Kien taunted by the other soldiers in the abandoned school?
5. Why was it lucky that Phuong and Kien missed the train just as war started?
6. What was Phuong forced to become?
7. What happens to the train that Kien and Phuong eventually catch so that he can return to his unit?
8. Why is the letter that Kien receives important?
9. Why does Kien kill the Sailor on the Train?
10. What is symbolic about the farm that Kien and his comrades visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Phuong change throughout the book? Explain in detail
Essay Topic 2
It could be reasoned that Kien avoids, yet hungers for human contact. Explain with details.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kien write after the war? What does Kien hope to achieve with his writing? How is Kien’s writing helpful to him?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)