|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Phuong and Kien run off to whilst they are at school?
2. Where do Kien and Phuong hide after their train was bombed?
3. Why is it lucky that Kien and Phuong miss their first train?
4. What happens to Phuong after the train is derailed?
5. How does Hoa die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kien taunted by the other soldiers in the abandoned school?
2. Why does Phuong want Kien to be more like his father?
3. How many times does Phuong's memories come back to Kien during the war?
4. Why does Kien almost kill himself?
5. Why is Kien ridiculed by his fellows in the post war period?
6. Why does Kien refuse to sleep with Phuong before the war?
7. Why does Kien discover about his father's paintings?
8. What was Phuong forced to become?
9. Where do Kien and Phuong go to escape when they hear about the war?
10. At what bar does Kien meet the young prostitute and other ex-soldiers from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a tragic figure in literature? Does Kien fit the definition? Why or why not? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
This story told from the North Vietnamese side. Explore what this might imply about the author’s agenda.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's use of flashbacks in the story.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)