|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Phuong accompany Kien on the train when they sign up for the war effort?
2. What do Kien's neighbors feel about Kien?
3. How does Hoa die?
4. Where do Kien and Phuong hide after their train was bombed?
5. How does Kien's friend Tu die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kien ridiculed by his fellows in the post war period?
2. Why does Phuong want Kien to be more like his father?
3. Why is Kien taunted by the other soldiers in the abandoned school?
4. Who is Kien's first 'kill' of the war?
5. What was Phuong forced to become?
6. Why was it lucky that Phuong and Kien missed the train just as war started?
7. Why does Kien refuse to sleep with Phuong before the war?
8. What happens to Phuong on that train?
9. Why does Kien not kill the commandos responsible for the farmhouse massacre?
10. What does Kien hallucinate about his nurse in Hanoi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the Vietnam War a character in the story? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of flashbacks in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? In your opinion, is Kien suffering from PTSD? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)