|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does 'indoctrination' mean?
2. What did Phuong have to do during the war in order to survive?
3. What was the first occasion that Kien had been drunk?
4. Where does the narrative of Part Four start?
5. What happens to Phuong after the train is derailed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the characters of Tu and Cam have in common?
2. What is symbolic about the farm that Kien and his comrades visit?
3. Why is the image of the storm symbolic for Kien?
4. Why does Phuong want Kien to be more like his father?
5. Why is Kien taunted by the other soldiers in the abandoned school?
6. Why was it lucky that Phuong and Kien missed the train just as war started?
7. Why is the letter that Kien receives important?
8. What does Kien hallucinate about his nurse in Hanoi?
9. What happens to the train that Kien and Phuong eventually catch so that he can return to his unit?
10. Who is Kien's first 'kill' of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a tragic figure in literature? Does Kien fit the definition? Why or why not? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Kien is looking to be saved from his war trauma. In what different ways does Kien look for this kind of salvation?
Essay Topic 3
Is the Vietnam War a character in the story? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)