|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else frequents the Balcony Cafe?
2. Why does Kien remember his comrade Tu?
3. Why is Kien afraid to miss his train?
4. Where did Kien go, many years after the war had ended?
5. Who is Kien's first 'kill' of the War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the farm that Kien and his comrades visit?
2. Why does Kien almost kill himself?
3. Who is Kien's first 'kill' of the war?
4. Why is the image of the storm symbolic for Kien?
5. What does Kien hallucinate about his nurse in Hanoi?
6. Why is the letter that Kien receives important?
7. Why does Kien not kill the commandos responsible for the farmhouse massacre?
8. Why does Kien discover about his father's paintings?
9. Where do Kien and Phuong go to escape when they hear about the war?
10. Why does Kien kill the Sailor on the Train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kien, the North Vietnamese, and the South Vietnamese are all victims of this war. Do you agree or disagree? Support your reasoning with the text of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Kien is looking to be saved from his war trauma. In what different ways does Kien look for this kind of salvation?
Essay Topic 3
Was Kien an unwilling participant of the Vietnam War? Did Kien support the war?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)