|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes whilst Kien is away?
2. Who is Hien?
3. Who is Phuong?
4. Who 'won' the Vietnam War?
5. What does Kien do to the Commandoes when he finds them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Tranh?
2. What job do we find Kien doing at the start of The Sorrow of War?
3. What is the Jungle called that Kien finds himself outside of
4. What is the significance of where the Mute Girl lives?
5. What side is Kien on during the War?
6. What does Kien do for his friend the Mute Girl?
7. How many years later is the current narrative?
8. During what years did the Vietnam War take place?
9. Who is Lan?
10. Why is Kien so distressed at the start of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a muse? Who was the muse in Kien’s story? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
This story told from the North Vietnamese side. Explore what this might imply about the author’s agenda.
Essay Topic 3
Kien was never in love with the real Phuong. Is this statement true or false? Explain your answer with details from the text.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)