|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Saigon the capital of?
2. Why did the American government go to War in Vietnam?
3. How much time passes whilst Kien is away?
4. What does Kien think writing will achieve for him?
5. Why was Kien thinking about executing the commandos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kien warned against by his parents in this section?
2. What was the most traumatic sight for Kien at Saigon Airport?
3. What did Kien remember feeling before the onset of war?
4. During what years did the Vietnam War take place?
5. Who is Lan?
6. Why does Kien write so obsessively?
7. What does Kien do after burning the manuscript?
8. What side is Kien on during the War?
9. Why does Kien and Phuong's relationship turn sour after they reunite?
10. Who lives above Kien’ s apartment after the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Kien is looking to be saved from his war trauma. In what different ways does Kien look for this kind of salvation?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Kien in the story. What are his strengths and weaknesses?
Essay Topic 3
What is a muse? Who was the muse in Kien’s story? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)