|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last 'fun' memory that Kien remembers having with his troops in Part 1?
2. What characterised the feelings that Kien had for warfare before it happened?
3. Who was the boy that Kien had feelings for?
4. What job did Kien do during the Vietnamese War, which he remembers so vividly?
5. What becomes Kien's 'last enduring obsession?
Short Essay Questions
1. During what years did the Vietnam War take place?
2. What is the significance of where the Mute Girl lives?
3. Why does the Market Place at the beginning of Part 2 disturb him so much?
4. What did Kien remember feeling before the onset of war?
5. What does Kien do for his friend the Mute Girl?
6. Why is Kien so distressed at the start of Part 2?
7. Who lives above Kien’ s apartment after the war?
8. Who was Tranh?
9. What does Kien do after burning the manuscript?
10. Who is Hanh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the Narrator as a character at the end of 'The Sorrow of War'?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of flashbacks in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Is the Vietnam War a character in the story? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)