|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kien almost kill himself?
(a) Because he cannot bear the thought of losing Phuong
(b) Because he cannot bear the thought of war
(c) Out of grief for his father
(d) Because he sees how far removed he and Phuong have become
2. What did one particular friend think was the worst thing that could happen to a soldier?
(a) Having a small house
(b) Venereal disease
(c) A bad relationship
(d) Having no money
3. How are Kien and Phuong separated the very next day?
(a) Phuong goes to University whilst Kien is called for army training
(b) The Americans invade
(c) Kien is ordered away by his father
(d) Phuong is betrothed to someone else
4. Why is it lucky that Kien and Phuong miss their first train?
(a) It was late getting to the front line
(b) It broke down on the way to the War
(c) It got bombed
(d) They avoid someone they don't like
5. What does Phuong want Kien to be?
(a) A famous politician
(b) More like his father
(c) A famous general
(d) More like his mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kien discover about his fathers painting when he goes to warn him?
2. Why does Phuong accompany Kien on the train when they sign up for the war effort?
3. What happens to Phuong after the train is derailed?
4. Who is Hoa?
5. What did Phuong have to do during the war in order to survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kien kill the Sailor on the Train?
2. What was Phuong forced to become?
3. What is symbolic about the farm that Kien and his comrades visit?
4. What happens to the train that Kien and Phuong eventually catch so that he can return to his unit?
5. Why does Kien discover about his father's paintings?
6. Why does Kien almost kill himself?
7. What do the characters of Tu and Cam have in common?
8. How many times does Phuong's memories come back to Kien during the war?
9. What happens to Phuong on that train?
10. What does Kien hallucinate about his nurse in Hanoi?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)