|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phuong urge Kien to do after they hear the siren?
(a) To stay with her; to desert the army
(b) To take cover
(c) To leave Vietnam
(d) To fight the American menace
2. Where do Phuong and Kien run off to whilst they are at school?
(a) To Australia
(b) To South Vietnam
(c) To America
(d) To the beach
3. What does Kien recognise about the driver of the tram on his return home from the bar?
(a) It is the father of Toan
(b) That he is actually Phuong
(c) That he is a ghost from the war
(d) That he is a long lost friend
4. At what times of the day does Kien write?
(a) Mornings only
(b) Any time that he can
(c) Day time
5. What happens to Phuong after the train is derailed?
(a) She is molested by other soldiers
(b) She runs away
(c) She is injured in the crash
(d) She disappears
Short Answer Questions
1. What does 'indoctrination' mean?
2. What does Phuong finally say to Kien?
3. What is Kien's definition of sacrifice?
4. What does Phuong taunt Kien about becoming?
5. What musical instrument was Phuong especially good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Kien and Phuong go to escape when they hear about the war?
2. Why is Kien ridiculed by his fellows in the post war period?
3. What does Kien hallucinate about his nurse in Hanoi?
4. At what bar does Kien meet the young prostitute and other ex-soldiers from the war?
5. What was Phuong forced to become?
6. What musical instrument did Phuong play as a child, which indicates to Kien that she is a troubled soul?
7. Why is the image of the storm symbolic for Kien?
8. What happens to the train that Kien and Phuong eventually catch so that he can return to his unit?
9. What do the characters of Tu and Cam have in common?
10. Describe Kien's parents
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)