|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrative of Part Four start?
(a) From Phuong's point of view
(b) Before Kien was born
(c) With Kien writing
(d) With Kien fighting
2. What does Phuong urge Kien to do after they hear the siren?
(a) To fight the American menace
(b) To leave Vietnam
(c) To stay with her; to desert the army
(d) To take cover
3. What did one particular friend think was the worst thing that could happen to a soldier?
(a) Having no money
(b) A bad relationship
(c) Having a small house
(d) Venereal disease
4. What did Phuong have to do during the war in order to survive?
(a) Become a thief
(b) Become a killer
(c) Become a prostitute
(d) Become a smuggler
5. Where did Kien meet Phuong?
(a) After the war
(b) In army training
(c) At school
(d) On the battlefield
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kien realise is different about Phuong?
2. Who sends Kien the letter that he receives many years later?
3. What does Phuong finally tell Kien about their future in the form of a note?
4. Who is Hoa?
5. Before Kien started frequenting the Cafe, how many times in his life had he been drunk before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kien's parents
2. How many times does Phuong's memories come back to Kien during the war?
3. Why is the letter that Kien receives important?
4. Who is Kien's first 'kill' of the war?
5. Why does Kien not kill the commandos responsible for the farmhouse massacre?
6. Why is Kien taunted by the other soldiers in the abandoned school?
7. What happens to Phuong on that train?
8. What was Phuong forced to become?
9. Why is the image of the storm symbolic for Kien?
10. At what bar does Kien meet the young prostitute and other ex-soldiers from the war?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)