|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops this from happening?
(a) Kien suddenly feels sick
(b) Kien suddenly gets cramp
(c) Kien suddenly has a headache
(d) Kien suddenly feels a pang of guilt
2. How does Kien's friend Tu die?
(a) He was shot in the foot
(b) He draws machine gun fire so that Kien can complete his mission.-
(c) He fell off a cliff
(d) He tried to attack a paratrooper
3. What is the difference between the writing Kien performs during the day and that which he writes at night?
(a) The day time ideas appear contrived and artificial
(b) The day time writing is more compassionate
(c) The day time writing is more factually accurate
(d) The day time writing is more legible
4. What did one particular friend think was the worst thing that could happen to a soldier?
(a) Having a small house
(b) Venereal disease
(c) A bad relationship
(d) Having no money
5. What was Kien planning before the air raid sirens were called?
(a) To go to a movie
(b) To go to a bar
(c) To go home
(d) A romantic dinner with Phuong
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kien and Phuong hide after their train was bombed?
2. What was Kien's mother devoted to?
3. Where does Kien go in Part Five to reminisce about the War?
4. Why can Toan be considered a 'rival'?
5. What do Kien's neighbors feel about Kien?
Short Essay Questions
1. What musical instrument did Phuong play as a child, which indicates to Kien that she is a troubled soul?
2. Why does Kien refuse to sleep with Phuong before the war?
3. What does Kien hallucinate about his nurse in Hanoi?
4. Who is Kien's first 'kill' of the war?
5. Why does Kien kill the Sailor on the Train?
6. Why is Kien ridiculed by his fellows in the post war period?
7. How many times does Phuong's memories come back to Kien during the war?
8. Why does Kien discover about his father's paintings?
9. What is symbolic about the farm that Kien and his comrades visit?
10. Why is the letter that Kien receives important?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)