|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Phuong and Kien separate after their night at the abandoned school?
(a) They are attacked by soldiers
(b) Kien flees from her in shame and anger
(c) They get lost
(d) There is another aerial bombardment
2. Who was Toan?
(a) A neighbor
(b) An old school friend
(c) A fellow member of his platoon who was killed outside of Saigon
(d) A commander of the army
3. How does Phuong help Kien to rejoin his unit and avoid being accused of desertion?
(a) She makes a phone call to their army base
(b) She hitches a ride with him to their barracks
(c) She gives him money to bribe the guards
(d) She writes a letter to their commander
4. Why is Kien afraid to miss his train?
(a) Everyone will think he is a deserter
(b) He wants to leave Phuong behind
(c) He doesn't want to let down his father's expectations
(d) He wants to fight
5. Why does Kien almost kill himself?
(a) Because he cannot bear the thought of losing Phuong
(b) Out of grief for his father
(c) Because he cannot bear the thought of war
(d) Because he sees how far removed he and Phuong have become
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phuong taunt Kien about becoming?
2. Who sends Kien the letter that he receives many years later?
3. Where did Kien go, many years after the war had ended?
4. What does Kien realise is different about Phuong?
5. Before Kien started frequenting the Cafe, how many times in his life had he been drunk before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the farm that Kien and his comrades visit?
2. At what bar does Kien meet the young prostitute and other ex-soldiers from the war?
3. What is the significance of the tram driver who takes Kien home from the cafe?
4. How many times does Phuong's memories come back to Kien during the war?
5. Describe Kien's parents
6. What musical instrument did Phuong play as a child, which indicates to Kien that she is a troubled soul?
7. Why does Kien kill the Sailor on the Train?
8. Who is Kien's first 'kill' of the war?
9. Why does Kien refuse to sleep with Phuong before the war?
10. Why does Kien discover about his father's paintings?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)