|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did this skill reveal to Kien?
(a) That she comes from a wealthy family
(b) That she will be famous one day
(c) That she is not designed for warfare
(d) That Phuong was destined to be a troubled soul
2. When did Kien's father die?
(a) During the 1990's
(b) During the war
(c) During the first air raids to attack Hanoi
(d) Before he was born
3. What musical instrument was Phuong especially good at?
(a) The clarinet
(b) The guitar
(c) The flute
(d) The piano
4. What does Phuong taunt Kien about becoming?
(a) A capitalist
(b) A communist
(c) A killer
(d) A pacifist
5. Who is Hoa?
(a) A friend of Phuong's
(b) Kien's second in command
(c) A young female guide who sacrifices herself for Kien and his platoon
(d) Kien's childhood sweetheart
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the train that Phuong and Kien eventually get on?
2. What 'peaceful' memory of the war does Kien think about in this Part?
3. What did Phuong have to do during the war in order to survive?
4. How are Kien and Phuong separated the very next day?
5. What profession did Kien's father hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kien discover about his father's paintings?
2. Why does Kien refuse to sleep with Phuong before the war?
3. Why does Phuong want Kien to be more like his father?
4. Why does Kien not kill the commandos responsible for the farmhouse massacre?
5. Why does Kien almost kill himself?
6. Who is Kien's first 'kill' of the war?
7. Why is Kien ridiculed by his fellows in the post war period?
8. What is the significance of the tram driver who takes Kien home from the cafe?
9. How many times does Phuong's memories come back to Kien during the war?
10. At what bar does Kien meet the young prostitute and other ex-soldiers from the war?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)