|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Kien's manuscript during this time that he is away?
(a) It gets burned
(b) It gets published
(c) It gets sold
(d) It gathers dust in the attic
2. On whose side were the American's fighting during the Vietnam War?
(a) The British
(b) The South Vietnamese
(c) Their U.N's
(d) The North Vietnamese
3. What term can best be applied to what Kien is experiencing?
(a) Survivor guilt
(b) Low self-esteem
(c) High achiever
(d) Survivor happiness
4. What is the term for the sudden remembrances that Kien suffers throughout The Sorrow of War?
5. What does the Mute Girl feel towards Kien?
(a) She hates him
(b) She distrusts him
(c) She respects him
(d) She loves him
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last 'fun' memory that Kien remembers having with his troops in Part 1?
2. When does the Mute Girl realise that their relationship is over?
3. What Point of view is this chapter written in?
4. Why does the Truck Driver say that it is unsurprising that Kien has bad dreams?
5. What job did Kien do during the Vietnamese War, which he remembers so vividly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of where the Mute Girl lives?
2. Why does Kien write so obsessively?
3. Why does Kien and Phuong's relationship turn sour after they reunite?
4. What happened to Can?
5. What is Kien warned against by his parents in this section?
6. Who is Lan?
7. Where is Hanoi?
8. Why does the transport truck driver wake him up at the end of Part 1?
9. What is the Jungle called that Kien finds himself outside of
10. How do we think the Mute Girl feels for Kien?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)