|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Kien wants most when he returns from war to Hanoi?
(a) To start work
(b) To see Phuong
(c) To see his father again
(d) To open a shop
2. Why did Kien visit Tranh at the end of this chapter?
(a) To ask for money
(b) To say sorry
(c) To give him a gift
(d) To see him on his death bed, before he dies
3. What job did Kien do during the Vietnamese War, which he remembers so vividly?
(a) Body Collector
(c) Platoon Commander
(d) Transport Truck Driver
4. In what years was the Vietnam War fought?
(b) early 90's
(c) 50's and 60's
5. What did the Mute Girl find Kien attempting to do before he disappears?
(a) Paint a picture
(b) Kill somebody
(c) Burn the manuscript that he had been writing
(d) Commit suicide
Short Answer Questions
1. Just before the outbreak of the Vietnam conflict, who was the enemy that Vietnam was about to go to war with?
2. Why did Kien become a body collector?
3. What is special about the Mute Girl's apartment?
4. What happens to Kien's manuscript during this time that he is away?
5. What happens between Hien and Kien?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Hanoi?
2. What side is Kien on during the War?
3. Why does Kien write so obsessively?
4. Why does Kien think about executing the North Vietnamese commandos?
5. What does Kien do for his friend the Mute Girl?
6. How does Kien’s writing help him psychologically?
7. Who is Hanh?
8. What does Kien try to do to his manuscript that alarms his neighbors so much?
9. How many years later is the current narrative?
10. Why does the transport truck driver wake him up at the end of Part 1?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)