|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kien often wonder about his past colleagues?
(a) If they are still alive
(b) How many now lead settled and peaceful lives
(c) How he can contact them
(d) How many are still in the army
2. Who else frequents the Balcony Cafe?
(d) Other ex-soldiers
3. Where does the narrative of Part Four start?
(a) With Kien writing
(b) With Kien fighting
(c) From Phuong's point of view
(d) Before Kien was born
4. Where do Phuong and Kien run off to whilst they are at school?
(a) To South Vietnam
(b) To Australia
(c) To the beach
(d) To America
5. Why does Kien write in the post war period?
(a) It’s Phuong’s wish
(b) It’s the only job he can get
(c) To exorcise his feelings
(d) To become famous
6. Where does Kien find Phuong after the attack on the train?
(c) Talking to another man
7. What perspective is the first part of this Part written from?
(a) Fourth Person
(b) First person
(c) Second Person
(d) The Third Person Perspective
8. Where do Kien and Phuong hide after their train was bombed?
(a) At a beach
(b) At an abandoned school
(c) At a restaurant
(d) At an abandoned farm
9. What does 'indoctrination' mean?
(a) Teaching a system of beliefs that limits the students freedom of thought
(b) Allowing students to think for themselves
(c) Teaching things in threes
(d) Teaching students about doctors
10. How does Phuong and Kien separate after their night at the abandoned school?
(a) They are attacked by soldiers
(b) Kien flees from her in shame and anger
(c) There is another aerial bombardment
(d) They get lost
11. Why does Kien almost attack the taunting soldiers in the abandoned hospital?
(a) They make jokes about Phuong
(b) They have stolen his clothes
(c) They are members of the South Vietnamese Army
(d) They make jokes about his father
12. Where did Kien go, many years after the war had ended?
(a) To America
(b) To Australia
(c) To China
(d) To where Hoa died
13. Why does Kien make his first 'kill'?
(a) To save the life of his comrades
(b) To protect Phuong
(c) To save his own life
(d) To serve his country
14. Why can Toan be considered a 'rival'?
(a) Because their army superior liked Toan more
(b) Because he also vied for Phuong's affections when they were younger
(c) Because Toan and Kien were always gambling
(d) Because Toan is also a writer
15. Where did Kien meet Phuong?
(a) At school
(b) After the war
(c) In army training
(d) On the battlefield
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kien feel about the process of writing a novel at the start of Part Six?
2. At what times of the day does Kien write?
3. Why does Phuong accompany Kien on the train when they sign up for the war effort?
4. What do Kien and his platoon realize when they visit the South Vietnamese farm?
5. What profession did Kien's father hold?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)