|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else frequents the Balcony Cafe?
(a) Other ex-soldiers
2. Where did Kien meet Phuong?
(a) On the battlefield
(b) In army training
(c) After the war
(d) At school
3. How did Kien's friend Tam die?
(a) He was shot in the back
(b) He fell into the swamp
(c) He died defending Kien from a paratrooper
(d) He was covered in Agent Orange
4. How does Phuong help Kien to rejoin his unit and avoid being accused of desertion?
(a) She hitches a ride with him to their barracks
(b) She gives him money to bribe the guards
(c) She writes a letter to their commander
(d) She makes a phone call to their army base
5. What does Phuong finally tell Kien about their future in the form of a note?
(a) That they will meet each other again some day
(b) That they will be married in the spring
(c) That they will be moving to America together
(d) That they will never see each other again
6. What did one particular friend think was the worst thing that could happen to a soldier?
(a) Having a small house
(b) Having no money
(c) A bad relationship
(d) Venereal disease
7. How does Kien's friend Tu die?
(a) He draws machine gun fire so that Kien can complete his mission.-
(b) He tried to attack a paratrooper
(c) He was shot in the foot
(d) He fell off a cliff
8. What was Kien's mother devoted to?
(a) The pursuit of Justice
(d) The Catholic faith
9. Who does Kien dream about in hospital?
(a) His lover, Phuong
(b) His childhood friend
(c) His mother
(d) His pet dog
10. What is the difference between the writing Kien performs during the day and that which he writes at night?
(a) The day time writing is more factually accurate
(b) The day time writing is more legible
(c) The day time writing is more compassionate
(d) The day time ideas appear contrived and artificial
11. What is Kien's definition of sacrifice?
(a) Having to be away from home
(b) Eating army dinners
(c) Leaving Phuong
(d) Friends who would die to save one another
12. What object does Kien receive years later?
(a) Military-issued gun
13. Why does Kien almost attack the taunting soldiers in the abandoned hospital?
(a) They are members of the South Vietnamese Army
(b) They make jokes about his father
(c) They have stolen his clothes
(d) They make jokes about Phuong
14. What does Kien feel about the process of writing a novel at the start of Part Six?
(a) That is a worthy and moral process
(b) That it is making him famous
(c) That it is boring and unproductive
(d) That it makes lots of money
15. What was the first occasion that Kien had been drunk?
(a) After the fighting at Saigon aiport
(b) After the air raid in Hanoi
(c) After the train got bombed
(d) After his sixteenth birthday
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kien make his first 'kill'?
2. What did Phuong have to do during the war in order to survive?
3. What does Phuong urge Kien to do after they hear the siren?
4. Who is Hoa?
5. What does Kien often wonder about his past colleagues?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)