|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relation was it who urged Kien against Patriotism?
(a) His Uncle
(b) His Mother's Second Husband
(c) His mother's first husband
(d) His mother
2. How does Kien think his body collecting job is different from his wartime experience?
(a) Body Collecting pays better
(b) Body Collecting has no value to it
(c) Body Collecting is a moral thing to do
(d) Body Collecting is more dangerous
3. What characterised the feelings that Kien had for warfare before it happened?
(b) Almost like Love
4. What is Kien's primary method to exorcise his guilt about the Vietnamese War?
(a) He drinks excessively
(b) He fights constantly
(c) He writes obsessively
(d) He cries ceaselessly
5. What did Kien's father warn him against?
(a) The Americans
(d) Going into Politics
6. What airport did Kien find himself in at the end of the war?
7. Where is Hanoi?
(a) North America
(b) The capital of South Vietnam
(d) The capital of North Vietnam
8. What enemies did Kien face during the war?
(a) The French
(b) The Germans
(c) The Chinese
(d) The Americans and the south Vietnamese
9. Who were responsible for the farmhouse girl's deaths?
(a) The Americans
(b) North Vietnamese Commandoes
(c) The South Vietnamese
(d) Kien's own platoon
10. What did the Mute Girl find Kien attempting to do before he disappears?
(a) Paint a picture
(b) Commit suicide
(c) Burn the manuscript that he had been writing
(d) Kill somebody
11. What sense suddenly gives Kien a memory of his wartime experiences?
(a) The sight of the people
(b) The smells around him
(c) The taste of the food
(d) The sound of the marketplace
12. Where is Kien at the start of the chapter?
(a) At the Market Place
(b) At the Library
(c) At the Supermarket
(d) At the School
13. What is Kien's job at the start of The Sorrow of War, while he is in the transport truck?
(d) Body Collector
14. Who 'won' the Vietnam War?
(a) The British
(b) The South Vietnamese
(c) The North Vietnamese
(d) The Americans
15. What did the character of Can try to do?
(a) Steal food because he was hungry
(b) Sacrifice himself for his comrades
(c) Attack Kien because of a private insult
(d) Escape from the war
Short Answer Questions
1. On whose side were the American's fighting during the Vietnam War?
2. What does the Mute Girl do for Kien's writings?
3. Where is Kien when he starts reliving his experiences?
4. Just before the outbreak of the Vietnam conflict, who was the enemy that Vietnam was about to go to war with?
5. How much time passes whilst Kien is away?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)