Part 1, p. 1 – 39
• Kien, a former platoon commander for the North Vietnamese Army (1960 to 1970) during the Vietnam War, is settling down to rest in a hammock strung in his transport truck. We learn that Kien is now a body collector, tasked with retrieving and identifying the corpses of recent battles.
• Kien hears a shriek from the Jungle of Screaming Souls and remembers why the forest is called by that name.
• Kien remembers the awful battles that took place here in his time as a platoon commander.
• In particular, Kien reminisces about the last playful card game he shared with members of his squad.
• Kien remembers his encounter with Can, the guilty soldier who tried to desert.
• Kien remembers a time when his platoon visited the farmhouse of three beautiful girls who were later slaughtered.
• Thinking about the farmhouse allows Kien to introduce his memories of Phuong, the great (idealized...
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)