|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens right after Josh falls towards the blue water?
2. To whom does Cernunnos send something?
3. What does Nicholas warn the twins concerning Gilgamesh?
4. What does Josh watch flood?
5. What does Dee know as Nicholas and the twins escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or ideas that are not a part of the "real" world. In the case of The Sorceress, much of the setting may seem familiar to the reader (i.e. there are woods, mountains, rivers, oceans, etc), though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of The Sorceress that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in The Sorceress.
2. Define the words as used in in The Sorceress world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of The Sorceress. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in The Sorceress? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from The Sorceress? Which ones?
Essay Topic 2
Nicholas Flamel is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand whom you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you chose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction need a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Sorceress is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)