|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Niccolo believe is more dangerous than Nicholas Flamel?
2. What do the Flesh Eaters look like in reality?
3. What does Josh attempt to hold that causes him pain?
4. Who are Badb and Macha?
5. Upon what does the Crow Goddess feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Josh keep the police from following them to Stonehenge?
2. What happens when Nicholas reveals himself to Gilgamesh and who intervenes?
3. Why is Nereus after Perenelle and how does Perenelle defeat Nereus?
4. What shocks Palamedes about a sword?
5. How do Billy and the Kid and Machiavelli realize they have been tricked by the Crow Goddess?
6. What does Palamedes say to Nicholas before leaving to buy supplies in the village?
7. Where does Dee find Excalibur; how does he use Excalibur as a "compass" and what does he know about Clarent and its influence on Josh?
8. How does Josh observe the power of water and what happens as he watches the continents flood?
9. What does Bastet say about freeing Mars?
10. What does Gilgamesh say is important and how does he start the twins' training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Scott.
2. What in Scott's background may have helped him in writing The Sorceress? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Sorceress is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Sorceress. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)