|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John Dee's father fear when John Dee was first learning about his powers?
2. Who realizes the true power of the Sorceress in Chapter 25?
3. Who is Juan Manuel de Ayala?
4. What happens to the three flesh eaters?
5. Who are Badb and Macha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Dee and what is he contemplating in Chapter 48?
2. How do Billy and the Kid and Machiavelli realize they have been tricked by the Crow Goddess?
3. What is the difference between Josh and Sophie's lives concerning their new-found powers?
4. Why does Palamedes become irritated with Nicholas and what does he suggest about Nicholas' impatience?
5. What surprises Sophie about Gilgamesh and what connection does Sophie make?
6. Where does Dee find Excalibur; how does he use Excalibur as a "compass" and what does he know about Clarent and its influence on Josh?
7. What does Palamedes decide it is time to do? How do Palamedes and Nicholas aid Shakespeare?
8. How do Nicholas and the twins help Perenelle and why does she need assistance?
9. Where is Perenelle and who is with her?
10. Who calls John Dee and Niccolo Machiavelli when they are in Machiavelli's townhouse, and what are the two men's response to the call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Sorceress. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Sorceress. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of power in The Sorceress. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of control? What characters seem powerful?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Sorceress. Questions that Scott most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Scott' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Scott' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Scott and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)