1. What function does the first chapter serve?
2. What is the genre of The Song of the Dodo?
3. What is the tone of Quammen's writing in the opening chapter?
4. What literary term describes Quammen's use of the image of the Persian rug?
5. How many pieces does Quammen ask the reader to imagine the rug being cut into?
6. What does Quammen say about each of the pieces?
They are complex and well made.
7. What does Quammen say about the overall pattern on this hypothetical rug?
It is ruined.
8. What literary device describes the questions David Quammen asks about the rug?
This section contains 5,366 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)