|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Message From Aru.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Quammen say islands are sometimes formed?
(a) Rise in sea level.
(c) Volcanic activity.
(d) Seismic upthrust.
2. What distinguished this species for Quammen? Wallace had discovered it there a hundred years ago. Darwin had developed his theory of evolve from observing it. Englishmen had lost their fortunes hunting for specimens.
(a) Englishmen had lost their fortunes hunting for specimens.
(b) Its feathers had been used for decorating hats in Europe for fifty years.
(c) Wallace had discovered it there a hundred years ago.
(d) Darwin had developed his theory of evolve from observing it.
3. What surprising dispersal ability does Quammen say elephants have?
(a) Ability to swim long distances.
(b) Ability to be carried on wind currents.
(c) Ability to be carried in other animals' fur.
(d) Ability to go without water for weeks.
4. How was the case of the muriqui different from the case of the Mauritius kestrel?
(a) The muriqui was not an island species.
(b) The muriqui had much smaller batches of offspring.
(c) The muriqui lived in forests that were valuable for their hardwoods.
(d) The muriqui was a mammal, and did not reach sexual maturity until its third year.
5. What does David Quammen invoke as he describes cutting the rug?
(a) The outrage of the rug weavers.
(b) The dissolution of the design.
(c) The despair of the threads.
(d) The joy of the scissors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many species of the animal Philip Darlington studied did an island of four square miles possess?
2. How many indri are living in the forests Quammen visited?
3. Who is Thomas Lovejoy?
4. What is the term that encompasses David Quammen's overall idea?
5. How did Quammen make his way to this site?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)