|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Song of the Indri.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference between an isolate and a sample?
(a) Samples are only statistically related to larger environments.
(b) An isolate does not have a relation with a larger area.
(c) Trends in an isolate can be applied to larger areas.
(d) A sample is only representative of itself.
2. What did Lawrence Abele find in his studies?
(a) That the territorial needs of each species will be determined by their place on the food chain.
(b) That human influences are part of the environment and cannot be ignored in theories.
(c) That two coral heads supported more species than one similar-sized head.
(d) That immigration and extinction are mitigated by adaptation and evolve.
3. Who is Thomas Lovejoy?
(a) Director of conservation in the U.S. government.
(b) Director of the World Wildlife Fund.
(c) Director of the Sierra Club.
(d) Director of National Parks in the U.S.
4. What does Quammen say about Wilson and Macarthur's 'The Theory of Island Biogeography'?
(a) It was doubted at the time it was published.
(b) It was practically unnoticed.
(c) It was a book that changed things.
(d) Its effect was not felt for years.
5. When did Krakatau erupt?
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Quammen say was debated for years after Darwin's theories were published?
2. What did Frank Preston study?
3. What environment is NOT analogous to an island, according to Quammen?
4. How would you describe Quammen's narrative of the dodo's decline and extinction?
5. What does Quammen say an island is?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)