|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hedgehog of the Amazon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did humans hurt the dodo population directly?
(a) By killing them for sport.
(b) By killing the trees that supplied them with food.
(c) By gathering their eggs and hunting them.
(d) By building on their nesting grounds.
2. How long did Wilson and MacArthur predict it would take for species to reach equilibrium on Krakatau?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 100 years.
(c) 40 years.
(d) 75 years.
3. How did humans hurt the dodo population indirectly?
(a) By breaking up dodo populations for colonization to other islands.
(b) By collecting too many dodos for scientific study.
(c) By competing for the dodo's food supply themselves.
(d) By introducing competitors for food.
4. What function does the first chapter serve?
5. How did Wallace put Darwin in a tough spot, according to Quammen?
(a) By telling him about his work.
(b) By having used some of Darwin's observations in his own work.
(c) By having looked at Darwin's theories before he published his own.
(d) By publishing his theory first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lovejoy implement his plan?
2. What does Quammen say Wilson and MacArthur started with, as they developed their theories?
3. What traits did sailors notice in animals on remote islands?
4. Which scientist compared animals on islands with their counterparts on larger landmasses?
5. What was the special creation theory?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)