|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hedgehog of the Amazon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rule governs the relationship between the size of an island and the number of species it can support?
(a) The greater the fertility of the soil, the greater the number of species.
(b) The taller the highest point on the island, the greater the number of species.
(c) The large the island, the greater the number of species.
(d) The longer the coastline the greater the number of species.
2. How does Quammen describe the komodo dragon's territory?
(a) As any environment that satisfies its survival requirements.
(b) As inseparable from the islands where it developed.
(c) As an island within an island.
(d) As the whole history of its development in the ecosystem.
3. What does Quammen use as an example of an island?
(a) Mountaintop ecosystems.
(b) The komodo dragon's territory.
(c) Yellowstone national park.
4. What does Quammen say Wilson and MacArthur started with, as they developed their theories?
(a) Darwin's theory of the survival of the fittest.
(b) Data from Krakatau.
(c) Preston's species-area relationship.
(d) Darwin's theory of adaptation.
5. What did Frank Preston study?
(a) Species divergence.
(b) Species distribution.
(c) Adaptive radiation.
(d) Predator-prey relations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ecosystem does Wallace distinguish from ecosystems that developed in isolation?
2. What tragedy struck Wallace on his return to England?
3. What were theories of species evolution based on in Wallace's time?
4. When did the dodo go extinct?
5. What did Lawrence Abele find in his studies?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)