|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preston's Bell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Krakatau?
(d) Malay Archipelago.
2. How does Quammen find fault with other scientists studying extinctions?
(a) By saying that they have only been talking to each other.
(b) By saying that their fundamental premises were ungrounded.
(c) By saying that their nostalgia clouds their findings.
(d) By saying that their vocabulary is insufficient to the problems.
3. What does Quammen say an island is?
(a) A replica of other ecosystems.
(b) A fundamentally unique environment.
(c) A sample.
(d) An isolate.
4. What does Quammen use as an example of an island?
(b) Mountaintop ecosystems.
(c) Yellowstone national park.
(d) The komodo dragon's territory.
5. What important book did Robert McArthur and Edward Wilson publish in 1967?
(a) 'The Theory of Island Biogeography'.
(b) 'The Selfish Gene'.
(c) 'The Origin of Species'.
(d) 'The Mismeasure of Man'.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Quammen say lizards probably arrived at Krakatau?
2. What ecosystem does Wallace distinguish from ecosystems that developed in isolation?
3. What does Quammen interject into his historical narrative about ecosystem studies?
4. What advice did Darwin receive from his friends, with regard to Wallace's work?
5. What is the relationship Quammen develops between the imaginary rug and ecosystems?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)