|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preston's Bell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What belief of Darwin's has modern science disproved?
(a) That species can only react to their environmental conditions.
(b) That traits a parent acquires during its life are passed down to its young.
(c) That science would fill in all the missing links in the evolutionary chain.
(d) That evolve tends toward the perfection of each species.
2. Where did the dodo live?
(a) Sri Lanka.
(d) Galapagos Islands.
3. What did Frank Preston study?
(a) Predator-prey relations.
(b) Species distribution.
(c) Species divergence.
(d) Adaptive radiation.
4. What was the first species to arrive in Krakatau after the eruption?
(a) A bird.
(b) A spider.
(c) A snake.
(d) A crocodile.
5. What rule governs the relationship between the size of an island and the number of species it can support?
(a) The taller the highest point on the island, the greater the number of species.
(b) The greater the fertility of the soil, the greater the number of species.
(c) The large the island, the greater the number of species.
(d) The longer the coastline the greater the number of species.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tasmania's environmental history, according to Quammen?
2. How does Quammen say lizards probably arrived at Krakatau?
3. Who did Robert Bates work with?
4. What literary term describes Quammen's use of the image of the Persian rug?
5. How does Quammen say islands are sometimes formed?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)