|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Rarity Unto Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a trophic cascade?
(a) The consequences of habitat depletion.
(b) The cycle of expansion and contraction in animal populations.
(c) The interrelation between species.
(d) The result of change in one species' hunting habits.
2. What literary term describes Quammen's use of the image of the Persian rug?
3. What evidence did Wallace site to suggest problems with the special creation theory?
(a) That species had adapted to every different environment on earth.
(b) That some ecological niches went unfilled.
(c) That human beings could be found in every climate.
(d) That when species were displaced, they sometimes thrived in the new territory.
4. What population does Quammen compare with the thylacine population?
(a) The passenger pigeon.
(b) The Komodo dragon.
(c) The dodo.
(d) The indigenous people of Tasmania.
5. What question does Quammen say was debated for years after Darwin's theories were published?
(a) Whether he acted honorably toward Wallace.
(b) Whether he stole his work from Wallace.
(c) Whether he developed the theory of evolution on his own.
(d) Whether he owed Wallace for the material he borrowed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the dodo live?
2. What does Quammen say Wallace developed in South America?
3. Who does Quammen say typically collected insects?
4. What does Michael Soule study?
5. How does Quammen describe the efforts of other scientists?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)