|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Rarity Unto Death.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship Quammen develops between the imaginary rug and ecosystems?
(c) Extended metaphor.
2. How did humans hurt the dodo population indirectly?
(a) By breaking up dodo populations for colonization to other islands.
(b) By competing for the dodo's food supply themselves.
(c) By collecting too many dodos for scientific study.
(d) By introducing competitors for food.
3. What ecosystem does Wallace distinguish from ecosystems that developed in isolation?
(a) Ecosystems where great complexity developed out of local conditions.
(b) Ecosystems that were simplified over time.
(c) Ecosystems that had been part of a larger land mass, but broke away.
(d) Ecosystems where people had introduced new species.
4. What evidence did Wallace site to suggest problems with the special creation theory?
(a) That human beings could be found in every climate.
(b) That species had adapted to every different environment on earth.
(c) That when species were displaced, they sometimes thrived in the new territory.
(d) That some ecological niches went unfilled.
5. What was Tasmania's environmental history, according to Quammen?
(a) It experienced a catastrophic eruption that killed off everything on the island, before life returned slowly.
(b) It was separated from Australia by water.
(c) It was isolated by a growing mountain range in India.
(d) It was formed by a volcano in the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quammen say makes animals smaller on islands?
2. How would you describe Quammen's vocabulary?
3. How would you describe Quammen's narrative of the dodo's decline and extinction?
4. What is the tone of Quammen's writing in the opening chapter?
5. What belief of Darwin's has modern science disproved?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)