|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Man Who Knew Islands.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pieces does Quammen ask the reader to imagine the rug being cut into?
2. How would you describe Quammen's vocabulary?
(c) Technical and precise.
3. How does Quammen describe the efforts of other scientists?
4. What tragedy struck Wallace on his return to England?
(b) He lost his specimens and notes in a shipwreck.
(c) He became sick and nearly died.
(d) Someone else arrived in England a few weeks before him with similar specimens.
5. What does Quammen say about the overall pattern on this hypothetical rug?
(a) It can still be reassembled.
(b) It only exists in nostalgia.
(c) It is theoretical, now.
(d) It is ruined.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Wallace put Darwin in a tough spot, according to Quammen?
2. What does Quammen say makes his field important?
3. What is Lovejoy's term for the ecological crisis?
4. What is the genre of The Song of the Dodo?
5. What is the tone of Quammen's writing in the opening chapter?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)