|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Man Who Knew Islands.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Wallace travel after the Amazon?
(a) Galapagos islands.
(d) The Malay Archipelago.
2. What does Quammen say Wallace developed in South America?
(a) A clear vision of the profits to be made in providing scientists with specimens.
(b) A terrifying vision of the destruction of ecosystems.
(c) A sharp eye for different traits in insects.
(d) A deep devotion to the science of zoology.
3. What literary device describes the questions David Quammen asks about the rug?
(b) Leading question.
(d) Rhetorical question.
4. How would you describe Quammen's vocabulary?
(b) Technical and precise.
5. What does David Quammen invoke as he describes cutting the rug?
(a) The despair of the threads.
(b) The outrage of the rug weavers.
(c) The joy of the scissors.
(d) The dissolution of the design.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Quammen say was debated for years after Darwin's theories were published?
2. How many pieces does Quammen ask the reader to imagine the rug being cut into?
3. What is the first example Quammen cites of a species that has gone extinct?
4. What is Lovejoy's term for the ecological crisis?
5. Who did Robert Bates work with?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)