|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through World in Pieces.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Wilson show Quammen when the two men visited?
(a) Letters people had written to Wilson and MacArthur about their theories.
(b) Drafts of the papers that defined biogeography.
(c) Specimens that had helped Wilson and MacArthur develop their theory.
(d) A slide show of how Wilson and MacArthur developed their theory.
2. What traits did sailors notice in animals on remote islands?
(a) They were unafraid of humans, and thus easy prey.
(b) They adapted more quickly to environmental changes than animals on larger land masses.
(c) They were smaller and harder to observe than their counterparts on land.
(d) They were more varied than species on land.
3. What is the relationship Quammen develops between the imaginary rug and ecosystems?
(d) Extended metaphor.
4. What were Frank Preston's findings in plotting the distribution of species in island habitats?
(a) A direct proportion to represent commonness of species.
(b) An indirect proportion to represent commonness of species.
(c) A bell curve to represent commonness of species.
(d) A random relationship between size of island and commonness of species.
5. What does Michael Soule study?
(a) Lizards in the Gulf of California.
(c) Birds in Guam.
(d) Tasmanian tigers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bedo's reputation?
2. What rule governs the relationship between the size of an island and the number of species it can support?
3. Who is Philip Darlington?
4. What literary device describes the questions David Quammen asks about the rug?
5. What was Carl Jones trying to rescue in Mauritius?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)