|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through World in Pieces.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the consequence of the Simberloff and Abele article?
(a) A chaos as scientists didn't know which theory to believe.
(b) A shift to a new theory about speciation.
(c) A raging debate about theory.
(d) A return to the old paradigm of large reserves holding more species.
2. Whose reactions does Quammen record, in relation to Bedo's death?
3. How did Wallace put Darwin in a tough spot, according to Quammen?
(a) By telling him about his work.
(b) By publishing his theory first.
(c) By having used some of Darwin's observations in his own work.
(d) By having looked at Darwin's theories before he published his own.
4. What rule governs the relationship between the size of an island and the number of species it can support?
(a) The longer the coastline the greater the number of species.
(b) The greater the fertility of the soil, the greater the number of species.
(c) The taller the highest point on the island, the greater the number of species.
(d) The large the island, the greater the number of species.
5. What was Lovejoy trying to determine with his plan?
(a) An ideal number of species per acre.
(b) A critical number of ecosystems for a conservation strategy.
(c) An ideal number of reserves for a landscape.
(d) An ideal size for a nature reserve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the genre of The Song of the Dodo?
2. What did Wilson show Quammen when the two men visited?
3. What is the literary term that describes Quammen's addressing the reader directly?
4. What incident does Quammen relate at the end of chapter nine, "World in Pieces"?
5. What was the first species to arrive in Krakatau after the eruption?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)