|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through So Huge A Bignes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Quammen say makes his field important?
(a) Because it has predicted recent phenomena.
(b) Because it is holistic and global in scope.
(c) Because island ecosystems are a good metaphor for ecosystems as a whole.
(d) Because it accounts for events other fields cannot account for.
2. What ecosystem does Wallace distinguish from ecosystems that developed in isolation?
(a) Ecosystems where great complexity developed out of local conditions.
(b) Ecosystems where people had introduced new species.
(c) Ecosystems that had been part of a larger land mass, but broke away.
(d) Ecosystems that were simplified over time.
3. Where is Krakatau?
(b) Malay Archipelago.
4. When did Krakatau erupt?
5. What does Quammen say about the overall pattern on this hypothetical rug?
(a) It is ruined.
(b) It only exists in nostalgia.
(c) It can still be reassembled.
(d) It is theoretical, now.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important book did Robert McArthur and Edward Wilson publish in 1967?
2. What is the tone of Quammen's writing in the opening chapter?
3. What is Quammen really describing as he imagines the hacked up rug?
4. What does Quammen say about each of the pieces?
5. What function does the first chapter serve?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)