|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through So Huge A Bignes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the first plants to arrive after the eruption of Krakatau?
(d) Mosses and ferns.
2. What does David Quammen invoke as he describes cutting the rug?
(a) The despair of the threads.
(b) The joy of the scissors.
(c) The dissolution of the design.
(d) The outrage of the rug weavers.
3. What does Quammen say Wallace developed in South America?
(a) A terrifying vision of the destruction of ecosystems.
(b) A deep devotion to the science of zoology.
(c) A clear vision of the profits to be made in providing scientists with specimens.
(d) A sharp eye for different traits in insects.
4. What literary device describes the questions David Quammen asks about the rug?
(a) Rhetorical question.
(c) Leading question.
5. What does Quammen say makes animals smaller on islands?
(a) Larger predators.
(b) Smaller food supply.
(c) Larger food supply.
(d) Smaller territories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first example Quammen cites of a species that has gone extinct?
2. Who did Robert Bates work with?
3. How does Quammen find fault with other scientists studying extinctions?
4. What is Quammen really describing as he imagines the hacked up rug?
5. What traits did sailors notice in animals on remote islands?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)