|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through So Huge A Bignes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the genre of The Song of the Dodo?
2. What does Quammen say Wallace developed in South America?
(a) A deep devotion to the science of zoology.
(b) A clear vision of the profits to be made in providing scientists with specimens.
(c) A terrifying vision of the destruction of ecosystems.
(d) A sharp eye for different traits in insects.
3. When does a species' dispersal ability become important, according to Quammen?
(a) When the species is isolated by mountain ranges or lakes.
(b) When a species is forced to find new food sources.
(c) When an island loses all its life after a catastrophic event.
(d) When a species is threatened by new predators.
4. How does Quammen describe the efforts of other scientists?
5. What literary term describes Quammen's use of the image of the Persian rug?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary term that describes Quammen's addressing the reader directly?
2. What were the first plants to arrive after the eruption of Krakatau?
3. What does Quammen say makes animals smaller on islands?
4. What were theories of species evolution based on in Wallace's time?
5. What does Quammen say about the overall pattern on this hypothetical rug?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)