|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through So Huge A Bignes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary device describes the questions David Quammen asks about the rug?
(b) Rhetorical question.
(d) Leading question.
2. Where did Wallace travel after the Amazon?
(b) Galapagos islands.
(c) The Malay Archipelago.
3. What was the first species to arrive in Krakatau after the eruption?
(a) A snake.
(b) A bird.
(c) A spider.
(d) A crocodile.
4. What important book did Robert McArthur and Edward Wilson publish in 1967?
(a) 'The Mismeasure of Man'.
(b) 'The Theory of Island Biogeography'.
(c) 'The Selfish Gene'.
(d) 'The Origin of Species'.
5. When does a species' dispersal ability become important, according to Quammen?
(a) When an island loses all its life after a catastrophic event.
(b) When a species is threatened by new predators.
(c) When a species is forced to find new food sources.
(d) When the species is isolated by mountain ranges or lakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of Quammen's writing in the opening chapter?
2. Why is Krakatau scientifically important?
3. What traits did sailors notice in animals on remote islands?
4. How did Wallace put Darwin in a tough spot, according to Quammen?
5. What ecosystem does Wallace distinguish from ecosystems that developed in isolation?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)