|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Coming Thing.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a thylacine?
(a) A Tasmanian tiger.
(b) A kangaroo.
(c) A crab.
(d) A kestrel.
2. What did Wilson and MacArthur postulate according to Quammen?
(a) That extinction only began when began to travel to new islands.
(b) That once an island developed a full range of species, extinction was rare.
(c) That extinction was a regular event on islands.
(d) That extinctions followed a predictable timeline following colonization.
3. What does Quammen use as an example of an island?
(a) Mountaintop ecosystems.
(b) The komodo dragon's territory.
(d) Yellowstone national park.
4. What important book did Robert McArthur and Edward Wilson publish in 1967?
(a) 'The Mismeasure of Man'.
(b) 'The Origin of Species'.
(c) 'The Selfish Gene'.
(d) 'The Theory of Island Biogeography'.
5. What doe Quammen say about this rule?
(a) It is highly controversial.
(b) It is still not established as accepted science.
(c) It is intuitive, but also more complicated.
(d) It required enormous statistical calculations to arrive at it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Krakatau scientifically important?
2. What is the term that encompasses David Quammen's overall idea?
3. Why, according to Quammen, is the theory of equilibrium important to science?
4. When did Krakatau erupt?
5. Where is Krakatau?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)