|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Coming Thing.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Quammen say lizards probably arrived at Krakatau?
(a) They developed independently from amphibians there.
(d) Came with humans.
2. What does Quammen say makes his field important?
(a) Because it has predicted recent phenomena.
(b) Because island ecosystems are a good metaphor for ecosystems as a whole.
(c) Because it is holistic and global in scope.
(d) Because it accounts for events other fields cannot account for.
3. What doe Quammen say about this rule?
(a) It required enormous statistical calculations to arrive at it.
(b) It is intuitive, but also more complicated.
(c) It is still not established as accepted science.
(d) It is highly controversial.
4. What environment is NOT analogous to an island, according to Quammen?
5. What was the special creation theory?
(a) The idea that God made each species for its environment.
(b) The theory that man was specifically created out of the best traits of the other animals.
(c) The theory that the universe was created especially for man's comfort.
(d) The theory that species developed only the most aesthetic traits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of the experiment Wilson and MacArthur undertook to prove their Krakatau hypothesis?
2. What is a sample?
3. How would you describe Quammen's narrative of the dodo's decline and extinction?
4. How did the data from Krakatau match Wilson and MacArthur's predictions?
5. What does Quammen says Charles Darwin and Alfred Wallace had in common?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)