|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Eli say that their commission as Rangers ran out in Chapter Forty-six?
2. When is Chapter Fifty-two set?
3. What was the name of Maria’s father?
4. What is the date of Peter McCullough’s first diary entry in Chapter Fifty-eight?
5. Who is the author of the novel The Virginian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Eli’s views of slavery in the novel. How are these views illustrated when he joins the Civil War efforts?
2. How does Eli return from Indian captivity to civilization in Chapter Thirty-one?
3. Why do you think that Maria tells Peter about the curse on the Garcia family in Chapter Forty-two?
4. What does Eli gain from the raid in Chapter Fifty-two? What do the Indians gain?
5. How does the relationship between Hank and Jeanne develop in Chapter Thirty-two?
6. What circumstances lead to Peter’s isolation on the ranch in Chapter Twenty-four?
7. How does the relationship between Eli and Ellen develop in Chapters Thirty-three through Thirty-seven?
8. How does Judge Black’s wife perceive Eli when he returns from the Rangers in Chapter Forty?
9. What is the earliest conflict between the Garcias and the McCulloughs, as illustrated in Chapter Fifty-nine?
10. How does the author illustrate Jeanne’s political connections in Chapter Thirty-five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s depictions of gender bias in the novel. Consider the following female characters in the reading: Jeanne McCullough, Yellow Hair, and Hates Work. How do each of these characters face discrimination based upon their gender? How might their position change if they were male?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nonlinear structure of The Son and the differing narrative styles established in the novel. How does the language style of each of the narrators differ? Does the narrative style reflect the time periods in which the story takes place? Why do you think the author chose to structure the novel in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the themes of “alienation” and “morality” in the novel. In what ways do each of the three narrator/protagonists face alienation in the course of the story? What moral decisions are made by these characters, and upon what is their morality based?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)