|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who Ulises Garcia’s ancestor in the McCullough family?
2. What is the name of Jeanne’s son that comes out as a gay man in Chapter Sixty?
3. Who is Jeanne’s lover that she recalls leaving her in Chapter Sixty-four?
4. Who is the cook at the McCullough ranch in Chapter Twenty-four?
5. Where does Peter’s wife go after their sons leave for the war in Chapter Twenty-four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Eli working in 1864? How is his home described in Chapter Forty-nine?
2. Discuss Jeanne’s relationship with motherhood, as seen in Chapter Thirty-eight. Does Jeanne enjoy being a mother?
3. How is Jeanne’s relationship with her grandsons described in Chapter Sixty?
4. What does Eli gain from the raid in Chapter Fifty-two? What do the Indians gain?
5. How does Peter respond to Maria’s presence and her need for help in Chapter Thirty?
6. What circumstances lead to Peter’s isolation on the ranch in Chapter Twenty-four?
7. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of the “Honey Hunt” she attends in Chapter Fifty-three?
8. How does Judge Black’s wife perceive Eli when he returns from the Rangers in Chapter Forty?
9. What leads up to Eli’s arrest in Chapter Thirty-seven? Who turns Eli in?
10. How does Jeanne come to be knocked unconscious in Chapter Sixty-nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Maria Garcia in the novel. How old is Maria when she appears at Peter’s doorstep in Chapter Thirty? How long has it been since Peter has seen Maria? What are Maria’s objectives in coming to the McCullough ranch?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s historical depictions of the Indian raids in Texas in the 1840s. How frequently were homes attacked in the settlements that bordered on or crossed into Indian Territory? How did these raids impact Indian/Settler relations? How accurate are the author’s depictions of this era and the surrounding circumstances of both the settlers and the Native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of the McCullough ranch and the adjoining Garcia land that is purchased in the novel. How many acres do the McCulloughs and the Garcias own? What does the land look like? What do you think the McCullough and Garcia lands represent symbolically in the story?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)