|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many members of Maria’s family were killed in the shootout that destroyed the Garcia home?
2. Why does Maria say a curse was put on her family in Chapter Forty-two?
3. Who comes to the jail to give Eli a lecture on morality in Chapter Thirty-four?
4. Jeanne thinks to herself in Chapter Sixty, “Dead people did not have voices and this made them” what?
5. What year is Chapter Forty-nine set in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances lead to Peter’s isolation on the ranch in Chapter Twenty-four?
2. What is the earliest conflict between the Garcias and the McCulloughs, as illustrated in Chapter Fifty-nine?
3. How does Eli help the captive buffalo hunter in Chapter Twenty-five?
4. How is the character of Ulises Garcia introduced in Chapter Fifty-seven? What is Ulises’s objective?
5. How does Eli return from Indian captivity to civilization in Chapter Thirty-one?
6. How does the relationship between Eli and Ellen develop in Chapters Thirty-three through Thirty-seven?
7. Why do you think that Maria tells Peter about the curse on the Garcia family in Chapter Forty-two?
8. What does Eli gain from the raid in Chapter Fifty-two? What do the Indians gain?
9. What events and circumstances lead Eli to the cattle industry in Chapter Fifty-five?
10. How does the author illustrate Jeanne’s political connections in Chapter Thirty-five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of “imparting a personal legacy” in The Son. What advice does the Colonel give to Jeanne McCullough regarding her own personal legacy and the importance of putting one’s name on something? Do you think that this is sound advice? Why or why not? How is this theme illustrated through imagery and characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the themes of “alienation” and “morality” in the novel. In what ways do each of the three narrator/protagonists face alienation in the course of the story? What moral decisions are made by these characters, and upon what is their morality based?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Martin McCullough in the novel. How old is Martin when the McCullough homestead is raided? What kind of relationship do Martin and Eli have? How are Martin and Eli different in their responses to captivity by the Indians?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)