|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What U.S. President does Jeanne recall dying in Chapter Forty-one?
2. When does Eli say that their commission as Rangers ran out in Chapter Forty-six?
3. What do the vaqueros claim is ruining the cattle, according to Peter’s diary entry in Chapter Thirty?
4. Who is Jeanne’s business partner that has moved into Hank’s office in Chapter Forty-seven?
5. How much money does the manager from Humble Oil offer Jeanne during their meeting in Chapter Twenty-six?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jeanne affected by Hank’s death in the novel?
2. How is Jeanne’s relationship with her grandsons described in Chapter Sixty?
3. Why does Peter express unhappiness about the discovery of oil on his family’s land?
4. How does Peter respond to Maria’s presence and her need for help in Chapter Thirty?
5. What leads up to Eli’s arrest in Chapter Thirty-seven? Who turns Eli in?
6. How does Eli return from Indian captivity to civilization in Chapter Thirty-one?
7. Why do you think the Colonel wants Maria out of his home in Chapter Thirty-three?
8. How does the relationship between Eli and Ellen develop in Chapters Thirty-three through Thirty-seven?
9. How does the relationship between Hank and Jeanne develop in Chapter Thirty-two?
10. What does Eli gain from the raid in Chapter Fifty-two? What do the Indians gain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Toshaway in the novel. How old is Toshaway when his character is introduced? What is Toshaway’s position within his tribe? How large is Toshaway’s band of Comanche? How would you describe Toshaway’s relationship with Eli McCullough?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Jeanne McCullough and Eli McCullough in the novel. How are Jeanne and her great-grandfather alike? How do they differ? What kind of relationship did Jeanne have with the Colonel before he died?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Peter’s relationship with Sally in the novel. How did Peter and Sally meet? What was their courtship like? How would you describe their relationship after marriage? Why does Sally go to Dallas and how does Peter respond to her leaving?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)