|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is Chapter Forty-nine set in?
2. In what year is Chapter Thirty-seven set?
3. What arrives in the mail on the same day that Peter sends his sons to war in Chapter Twenty-four?
4. Where does Phineas live in Chapter Twenty-six?
5. What is the name of the gun salesman that Eli’s company encounters during their raid in Chapter Fifty-two?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Hank and Jeanne develop in Chapter Thirty-two?
2. How does Peter respond to Maria’s presence and her need for help in Chapter Thirty?
3. Discuss Jeanne’s relationship with motherhood, as seen in Chapter Thirty-eight. Does Jeanne enjoy being a mother?
4. How does Judge Black’s wife perceive Eli when he returns from the Rangers in Chapter Forty?
5. What irony can be seen in Prairie Flower’s death in Chapter Twenty-eight?
6. What events and circumstances lead Eli to the cattle industry in Chapter Fifty-five?
7. What does Eli gain from the raid in Chapter Fifty-two? What do the Indians gain?
8. How does Eli return from Indian captivity to civilization in Chapter Thirty-one?
9. What circumstances lead to Peter’s isolation on the ranch in Chapter Twenty-four?
10. How is Jeanne affected by Hank’s death in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Peter McCullough’s account of the conflicts between the McCullough and Garcia families. How does Peter’s account of the events differ from his father’s? Who do you think is relating the truth of the matter? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting that is established in Chapter One of The Son. Where and when was Eli McCullough born? How does he describe the world that he grew up in? What are some examples of imagery from the chapter that help to develop a tone surrounding this setting? What influence does this setting have on Eli’s character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of Charles McCullough’s death on the McCullough family and particularly on Jeanne. Why do you think that Charles chose to leave almost all of his inheritance to Jeanne? How does Jeanne react when she learns this information?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)