|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jeanne’s business partner that has moved into Hank’s office in Chapter Forty-seven?
2. What is Eli’s reply when Peter tells him in Chapter Fifty-one, “I’m embarrassed by you”?
3. What is the date of Peter’s opening diary entry in Chapter Sixty-two?
4. How much money does the narrator say George Brown sold out of the oil business for in Chapter Forty-seven?
5. When does Eli say that their commission as Rangers ran out in Chapter Forty-six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eli’s narrative tone in Chapter Forty. What are examples of humor used in the chapter?
2. How does the relationship between Eli and Ellen develop in Chapters Thirty-three through Thirty-seven?
3. What irony can be seen in Prairie Flower’s death in Chapter Twenty-eight?
4. Why do you think the Colonel wants Maria out of his home in Chapter Thirty-three?
5. How is the character of Ulises Garcia introduced in Chapter Fifty-seven? What is Ulises’s objective?
6. Where is Eli working in 1864? How is his home described in Chapter Forty-nine?
7. What leads up to Eli’s arrest in Chapter Thirty-seven? Who turns Eli in?
8. How does the relationship between Hank and Jeanne develop in Chapter Thirty-two?
9. What is the earliest conflict between the Garcias and the McCulloughs, as illustrated in Chapter Fifty-nine?
10. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of the “Honey Hunt” she attends in Chapter Fifty-three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Charles McCullough’s death on the McCullough family and particularly on Jeanne. Why do you think that Charles chose to leave almost all of his inheritance to Jeanne? How does Jeanne react when she learns this information?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s depictions of gender bias in the novel. Consider the following female characters in the reading: Jeanne McCullough, Yellow Hair, and Hates Work. How do each of these characters face discrimination based upon their gender? How might their position change if they were male?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eli’s encounter with the buffalo hunter that is taken captive by the Indians, and Eli’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in helping the man. What dangers does Eli face by killing the buffalo hunter? How does Eli go about poisoning the man? Why does Eli poison him?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)