|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Peter describe a raid on a train by sixty insurgents in Chapter Eighteen?
2. Who is the only person other than Jeanne McCullough that is named on Jeanne’s father’s will for receiving a share of the minerals?
3. Chapter Four begins in the spring of what year?
4. What does Eli say the Indians use the books looted from their home for in Chapter Four?
5. How old is Jeanne in the flashback where the Colonel is ninety-eight in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is related regarding Jeanne’s mother in Chapter Five?
2. What prompts Jeanne’s decision to side with Phineas in Chapter Twenty?
3. Why are homesteaders like Eli’s family in danger of raids? What has created these circumstances?
4. What information does Phineas present to Jeanne when she visits him in Austin in Chapter Twenty?
5. How is the theme of gender bias illustrated in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
6. How does the McCullough family’s acquisition of the Garcias’ land impact the community in Chapter Eighteen? How does Peter feel about the acquisition?
7. How is sexual promiscuity among the Indians described in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
8. What is related about Eli McCullough’s early life in Chapter One? Why do you think this information is important?
9. How are the living conditions of the Indians described in Chapter Nineteen?
10. What concerns Jeanne the most as she faces her own death in Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nonlinear structure of The Son and the differing narrative styles established in the novel. How does the language style of each of the narrators differ? Does the narrative style reflect the time periods in which the story takes place? Why do you think the author chose to structure the novel in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s historical depictions of the Indian raids in Texas in the 1840s. How frequently were homes attacked in the settlements that bordered on or crossed into Indian Territory? How did these raids impact Indian/Settler relations? How accurate are the author’s depictions of this era and the surrounding circumstances of both the settlers and the Native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Corkie and Jonas in the novel. Where does Jeanne meet Corkie? What are her impressions of this character? How are Jeanne and Jonas similar? How do these characters differ?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)