|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Eli’s sister?
2. What year is it when William Blount and his sons disappear from their farm near the McCullough ranch?
3. Who does Peter say was murdered in the night and his store looted in Chapter Nine?
4. How old is Jeanne McCullough as she lay on the floor of her home in Chapter Two?
5. What is the German captive called among the Comanches of Eli’s tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Phineas present to Jeanne when she visits him in Austin in Chapter Twenty?
2. Why are homesteaders like Eli’s family in danger of raids? What has created these circumstances?
3. How do the Colonel and Charles differ in their viewpoints about their land and future?
4. What internal conflicts does Peter face when Charles shoots Dutch Hollis?
5. How does Eli’s relationship with Toshaway develop during Eli’s capture in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
6. How does Peter’s account of the incident with the Garcias differ from his father’s in Chapter Six?
7. How are the circumstances of Eli’s Indian tribe described in 1851 in Chapter Twenty-two?
8. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of her classmates at the girl’s boarding school in Chapter Seventeen?
9. How are Peter and Eli McCullough different in their outlooks and approaches to life?
10. What time period is Chapter Four set in? How old is Eli, and what position does he have within his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Martin McCullough in the novel. How old is Martin when the McCullough homestead is raided? What kind of relationship do Martin and Eli have? How are Martin and Eli different in their responses to captivity by the Indians?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of the McCullough ranch and the adjoining Garcia land that is purchased in the novel. How many acres do the McCulloughs and the Garcias own? What does the land look like? What do you think the McCullough and Garcia lands represent symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Peter McCullough’s account of the conflicts between the McCullough and Garcia families. How does Peter’s account of the events differ from his father’s? Who do you think is relating the truth of the matter? Why?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)