|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how much money do the McCulloughs pay for the Garcias’ land?
2. What year is it when William Blount and his sons disappear from their farm near the McCullough ranch?
3. When was the Declaration of Texas Independence from Mexico ratified?
4. What does Eli describe as “the largest and wealthiest of all the Comanche bands” in Chapter Nineteen?
5. Chapter Four begins in the spring of what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflicts does Peter face when Charles shoots Dutch Hollis?
2. How are Peter and Eli McCullough different in their outlooks and approaches to life?
3. How does the McCullough family’s acquisition of the Garcias’ land impact the community in Chapter Eighteen? How does Peter feel about the acquisition?
4. What items are taken when Eli’s family’s home is ambushed by the Indians in Chapter Four? Why are they taken?
5. How is Peter’s relationship with the Garcia family illustrated in Chapter Three?
6. How do the Colonel and Charles differ in their viewpoints about their land and future?
7. How does Eli’s relationship with Toshaway develop during Eli’s capture in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
8. What gender biases does Jeanne face growing up, as seen in Chapters Fourteen through Seventeen?
9. What information is related regarding Jeanne’s mother in Chapter Five?
10. What information does Phineas present to Jeanne when she visits him in Austin in Chapter Twenty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s historical depictions of the Indian raids in Texas in the 1840s. How frequently were homes attacked in the settlements that bordered on or crossed into Indian Territory? How did these raids impact Indian/Settler relations? How accurate are the author’s depictions of this era and the surrounding circumstances of both the settlers and the Native Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Peter McCullough’s account of the conflicts between the McCullough and Garcia families. How does Peter’s account of the events differ from his father’s? Who do you think is relating the truth of the matter? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author’s depictions of gender bias in the novel. Consider the following female characters in the reading: Jeanne McCullough, Yellow Hair, and Hates Work. How do each of these characters face discrimination based upon their gender? How might their position change if they were male?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)