|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eli McCullough’s nickname in the novel?
2. How many bedrooms are described in Jeanne McCullough’s home in Chapter Two?
3. What is the name of Prairie Flower’s sister in the novel?
4. Who does Peter suggest the new train station be named after in Chapter Twelve?
5. What are the names of Peter’s two sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jeanne’s opinions of the Garcia family? How did Jeanne develop these opinions?
2. What items are taken when Eli’s family’s home is ambushed by the Indians in Chapter Four? Why are they taken?
3. What internal conflicts does Peter face when Charles shoots Dutch Hollis?
4. How does Sally respond to the situation after Charles has shot Dutch Hollis? Why does Peter disagree with Sally?
5. How is sexual promiscuity among the Indians described in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
6. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of her classmates at the girl’s boarding school in Chapter Seventeen?
7. What concerns Jeanne the most as she faces her own death in Chapter Five?
8. What action does the Colonel take after Peter’s son has been shot in Chapter Six?
9. What information is related regarding Jeanne’s mother in Chapter Five?
10. How does Jeanne perceive her father’s death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Peter McCullough’s account of the conflicts between the McCullough and Garcia families. How does Peter’s account of the events differ from his father’s? Who do you think is relating the truth of the matter? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Peter’s relationship with Sally in the novel. How did Peter and Sally meet? What was their courtship like? How would you describe their relationship after marriage? Why does Sally go to Dallas and how does Peter respond to her leaving?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of the McCullough ranch and the adjoining Garcia land that is purchased in the novel. How many acres do the McCulloughs and the Garcias own? What does the land look like? What do you think the McCullough and Garcia lands represent symbolically in the story?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)