|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Chapter Twenty-two set?
2. What Indian tribe do the people belong to that have raided Eli’s home and kidnapped him in Chapter Four?
3. Who burns the Garcias’ house and their important papers in Chapter Fifteen?
4. What is the name of Prairie Flower’s sister in the novel?
5. What is done with Martin’s body after he is killed in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are homesteaders like Eli’s family in danger of raids? What has created these circumstances?
2. What information is related regarding Jeanne’s mother in Chapter Five?
3. What internal conflicts does Peter face when Charles shoots Dutch Hollis?
4. What action does the Colonel take after Peter’s son has been shot in Chapter Six?
5. What gender biases does Jeanne face growing up, as seen in Chapters Fourteen through Seventeen?
6. How are the living conditions of the Indians described in Chapter Nineteen?
7. How does Jeanne perceive her father’s death?
8. How is Peter’s relationship with the Garcia family illustrated in Chapter Three?
9. How is the theme of ethnic bias illustrated in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
10. How does the McCullough family’s acquisition of the Garcias’ land impact the community in Chapter Eighteen? How does Peter feel about the acquisition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Toshaway in the novel. How old is Toshaway when his character is introduced? What is Toshaway’s position within his tribe? How large is Toshaway’s band of Comanche? How would you describe Toshaway’s relationship with Eli McCullough?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nonlinear structure of The Son and the differing narrative styles established in the novel. How does the language style of each of the narrators differ? Does the narrative style reflect the time periods in which the story takes place? Why do you think the author chose to structure the novel in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Peter McCullough’s account of the conflicts between the McCullough and Garcia families. How does Peter’s account of the events differ from his father’s? Who do you think is relating the truth of the matter? Why?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)