|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sheriff’s name that visits to talk with the Colonel after the disappearance of the Blounts in Chapter Fourteen?
2. How many .30-caliber rounds does the Lewis gun fire per second that Eli’s family orders in Chapter Twenty-one?
3. Where does Jeanne say the Colonel wanted Jonas to attend college in Chapter Eleven?
4. Where is Glenn recovering in the hospital in Chapter Nine?
5. What does Eli describe as “the largest and wealthiest of all the Comanche bands” in Chapter Nineteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are homesteaders like Eli’s family in danger of raids? What has created these circumstances?
2. What are Jeanne’s opinions of the Garcia family? How did Jeanne develop these opinions?
3. What gender biases does Jeanne face growing up, as seen in Chapters Fourteen through Seventeen?
4. How would you describe the narrative style of the first three chapters of the novel?
5. What action does the Colonel take after Peter’s son has been shot in Chapter Six?
6. How do the Colonel and Charles differ in their viewpoints about their land and future?
7. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of her classmates at the girl’s boarding school in Chapter Seventeen?
8. How does Peter’s account of the incident with the Garcias differ from his father’s in Chapter Six?
9. What information does Phineas present to Jeanne when she visits him in Austin in Chapter Twenty?
10. How are the circumstances of Eli’s Indian tribe described in 1851 in Chapter Twenty-two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Corkie and Jonas in the novel. Where does Jeanne meet Corkie? What are her impressions of this character? How are Jeanne and Jonas similar? How do these characters differ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Maria Garcia in the novel. How old is Maria when she appears at Peter’s doorstep in Chapter Thirty? How long has it been since Peter has seen Maria? What are Maria’s objectives in coming to the McCullough ranch?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting that is established in Chapter One of The Son. Where and when was Eli McCullough born? How does he describe the world that he grew up in? What are some examples of imagery from the chapter that help to develop a tone surrounding this setting? What influence does this setting have on Eli’s character?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)