|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of Jeanne’s grandsons?
(a) Dell and Ash.
(b) Clint and Peter.
(c) Paul and Philip.
(d) James and Jonas.
2. Peter says in Chapter Thirty-nine, “It is as my father says. Men are meant to be” what?
3. Who does Eli recognize among the Indians that he is trailing with the Rangers in Chapter Forty-three?
(d) Yellow Hair.
4. By what name does Eli refer to a hanging in the beginning of Chapter Forty?
(a) A damnation to glory.
(b) A royal ball.
(c) A black party.
(d) A necktie social.
5. Who was the U.S. President when the U.S. entered World War I?
(a) Teddy Roosevelt.
(b) Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Grover Cleveland.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is Chapter Thirty-seven set?
2. Where does Phineas live in Chapter Twenty-six?
3. What unit does Eli sign up with during the U.S. Civil War?
4. What do the vaqueros claim is ruining the cattle, according to Peter’s diary entry in Chapter Thirty?
5. What U.S. President does Jeanne recall dying in Chapter Forty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Eli’s views of slavery in the novel. How are these views illustrated when he joins the Civil War efforts?
2. Why do Eli’s troops raid the Federal soldiers in Chapter Fifty-two? What happens during the raid?
3. Why does Peter express unhappiness about the discovery of oil on his family’s land?
4. How does Eli return from Indian captivity to civilization in Chapter Thirty-one?
5. How does the author illustrate Jeanne’s political connections in Chapter Thirty-five?
6. How is Jeanne affected by Hank’s death in the novel?
7. Describe Eli’s narrative tone in Chapter Forty. What are examples of humor used in the chapter?
8. Why do you think the Colonel wants Maria out of his home in Chapter Thirty-three?
9. How is the character of Ulises Garcia introduced in Chapter Fifty-seven? What is Ulises’s objective?
10. How does Peter respond to Maria’s presence and her need for help in Chapter Thirty?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)