|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the U.S. President when the U.S. entered World War I?
(a) Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) Grover Cleveland.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Teddy Roosevelt.
2. What U.S. President does Jeanne recall dying in Chapter Forty-one?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Teddy Roosevelt.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
3. Why does Maria say a curse was put on her family in Chapter Forty-two?
(a) Because her uncle killed an Indian seer.
(b) Because her father married a witch.
(c) Because her uncle was a thief.
(d) Because her father killed a Christian prophet.
4. What is the date of Peter’s first diary entry in Chapter Thirty-nine?
(a) July 7, 1917.
(b) March 2, 1836.
(c) August 12, 1915.
(d) April 6, 1917.
5. How much money does the narrator says Sullivan and Rodriguez make in a year together in Chapter Thirty-five?
(a) Less than $1,000.
(b) Less than $500.
(c) Less than $3,000.
(d) Less than $5,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is Chapter Thirty-seven set?
2. On what date did the United States declare war upon Germany in World War I?
3. When is Chapter Fifty-two set?
4. What is the name of Judge Black’s daughter that Eli becomes involved with romantically in Chapter Forty-six?
5. What is the name of the gun salesman that Eli’s company encounters during their raid in Chapter Fifty-two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is represented symbolically by the feud between the McCulloughs and the Garcias and its aftermath in the novel?
2. What leads up to Eli’s arrest in Chapter Thirty-seven? Who turns Eli in?
3. How does Peter respond to Maria’s presence and her need for help in Chapter Thirty?
4. Why do you think that Maria tells Peter about the curse on the Garcia family in Chapter Forty-two?
5. What does Eli gain from the raid in Chapter Fifty-two? What do the Indians gain?
6. How does the relationship between Eli and Ellen develop in Chapters Thirty-three through Thirty-seven?
7. What is the earliest conflict between the Garcias and the McCulloughs, as illustrated in Chapter Fifty-nine?
8. What irony can be seen in Prairie Flower’s death in Chapter Twenty-eight?
9. How does Eli help the captive buffalo hunter in Chapter Twenty-five?
10. How is the character of Ulises Garcia introduced in Chapter Fifty-seven? What is Ulises’s objective?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)