|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter says in Chapter Thirty-nine, “It is as my father says. Men are meant to be” what?
2. How much money does Peter learn that his family gave to Maria to leave in Chapter Fifty-one?
3. What are the names of Jeanne’s grandsons?
(a) Clint and Peter.
(b) Dell and Ash.
(c) James and Jonas.
(d) Paul and Philip.
4. How many members of Toshaway’s band are still living in the beginning of Chapter Thirty-one?
5. What is the name of Judge Black’s daughter that Eli becomes involved with romantically in Chapter Forty-six?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the manager from Humble Oil offer Jeanne during their meeting in Chapter Twenty-six?
2. What food do the Comanches believe makes a person into a coward, according to Eli in Chapter Thirty-one?
3. Who does Jeanne say came up with the idea of the Honey Hunt in Chapter Fifty-three?
4. How much money does the narrator say George Brown sold out of the oil business for in Chapter Forty-seven?
5. In what year is Chapter Thirty-seven set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Eli’s views of slavery in the novel. How are these views illustrated when he joins the Civil War efforts?
2. Describe Eli’s narrative tone in Chapter Forty. What are examples of humor used in the chapter?
3. How does Judge Black’s wife perceive Eli when he returns from the Rangers in Chapter Forty?
4. What circumstances lead to Peter’s isolation on the ranch in Chapter Twenty-four?
5. What is represented symbolically by the feud between the McCulloughs and the Garcias and its aftermath in the novel?
6. Where is Eli working in 1864? How is his home described in Chapter Forty-nine?
7. How does the author illustrate Jeanne’s political connections in Chapter Thirty-five?
8. How does Eli help the captive buffalo hunter in Chapter Twenty-five?
9. What is the earliest conflict between the Garcias and the McCulloughs, as illustrated in Chapter Fifty-nine?
10. How does Peter respond to Maria’s presence and her need for help in Chapter Thirty?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)