|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Peter’s wife go after their sons leave for the war in Chapter Twenty-four?
(a) New York.
2. How does Jeanne describe her feelings about motherhood in Chapter Thirty-eight?
(a) She feels overjoyed by motherhood.
(b) She feels stifled by motherhood.
(c) She feels freed by motherhood.
(d) She feels empowered by motherhood.
3. How old was Ulises Garcia when his father died?
4. What is the name of the gun salesman that Eli’s company encounters during their raid in Chapter Fifty-two?
(a) Tom Whipple.
(b) Miles Wallace.
(d) Amado Batista.
5. Who is the author of the novel The Virginian?
(a) Percy Shelley.
(b) Owen Wister.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Samuel Beckett.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeanne say Ben went to attend college in Chapter Fifty-six?
2. What is Hank doing when he is killed in Chapter Forty-four?
3. How much money does the manager from Humble Oil offer Jeanne during their meeting in Chapter Twenty-six?
4. What is the name of Jeanne’s son that comes out as a gay man in Chapter Sixty?
5. Peter says in Chapter Thirty-nine, “It is as my father says. Men are meant to be” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Eli working in 1864? How is his home described in Chapter Forty-nine?
2. How does Jeanne come to be knocked unconscious in Chapter Sixty-nine?
3. What circumstances lead to Peter’s isolation on the ranch in Chapter Twenty-four?
4. How does Eli return from Indian captivity to civilization in Chapter Thirty-one?
5. Describe Eli’s narrative tone in Chapter Forty. What are examples of humor used in the chapter?
6. Why do you think the Colonel wants Maria out of his home in Chapter Thirty-three?
7. Why does Peter express unhappiness about the discovery of oil on his family’s land?
8. Discuss Jeanne’s relationship with motherhood, as seen in Chapter Thirty-eight. Does Jeanne enjoy being a mother?
9. How does the author illustrate Jeanne’s political connections in Chapter Thirty-five?
10. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of the “Honey Hunt” she attends in Chapter Fifty-three?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)